A selection of Lord Beith's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Beith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Beith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Discussions with local authorities in the North East of England about the devolution of powers – Lord Beith.
Not an alternative.
My Lords, I am glad we have the opportunity to debate this Bill because there is no doubt that the scale and opacity of lobbying is a problem. What is more in doubt is whether as presently constructed it will materially assist us in dealing with and regulating the problem. I have some reservations about it and some suggestions on what to include in it which might do more to assist us than...
More of Lord Beith’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Entered the House of Lords on 23 November 2015
Previously MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed until 30 March 2015 — General election
Entered the House of Commons on 8 November 1973 — unknown
Also represented Berwick-upon-Tweed
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Unpaid Advisers
- Public Records
- Parliamentary Advisers
- Project Sponsorship
Currently held offices
- Member, Constitution Committee (since 25 May 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Chair, National Policy Statements Sub-Committee (21 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Liaison Committee (Commons) (21 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committee on Issue of Privilege (Police Searches on Parliamentary Estate) (13 Jul 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Justice Committee (6 Nov 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (5 Nov 2007 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (9 Oct 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (4 Feb 2003 to 21 Jul 2010)
- Chair, Constitutional Affairs Committee (4 Feb 2003 to 5 Nov 2007)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 4 Feb 2003)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (30 Jul 2001 to 24 Nov 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (1 Jan 2001 to 24 May 2005)
- Member, Procedure Committee (14 Feb 2000 to 11 May 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jan 1995 to 1 Jan 1997)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jun 1999)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 28 Nov 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1987 to 1 Jun 1994)
- Member, Privileges Committee (14 May 1986 to 15 May 1987)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1987)
- Member, House of Commons (Services): Accomodation & Administration Sub-Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 5 Dec 1985)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (9 Jun 1983 to 5 Dec 1985)
- Member, Committee of Selection (1 Nov 1978 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Member, Procedure Committee (1 Nov 1978 to 15 May 1987)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jan 1976 to 1 Jan 1987)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 286 debates since joining Parliament — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Beith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 39 written questions since joining Parliament — well above average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 80.46% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 117 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 53 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Beith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 14 times in debates — below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Payments from ComRes, 4 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA, for opinion research:
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (April 2014
). Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 18 July 2014)
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (November 2014). Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 24 February 2015)
Payments from Ipsos MORI
, 79-81 Borough Road, London SE1 1FY for opinion surveys.
Payment of £200. Hours: 1.5 hr. Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 3 February 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from