A selection of the Marquess of Lothian's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2010
Consistently voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2007
Almost always voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 38 votes against, 9 absences, between 2008–2011
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2004–2010
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2011
We have lots more plain English analysis of the Marquess of Lothian’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit the Marquess of Lothian’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the World Wildlife Fund's proposal for a new protected area for waters off East Antarctica, following this year's breeding failure in the colony of Adelie penguins in East Antarctic.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what financial and practical assistance they have given to aid the Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh; and what further assistance they intend to give.
To ask Her Majesty's Government what action they are taking to ensure that cyclists are aware of the requirement to obey the Highway Code in respect of Rules for cyclists (59 to 82), particularly Rule 66, Rule 69, Rule 71, and Rule 72.
More of The Marquess of Lothian’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 22 November 2010
Previously MP for Devizes until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 28 February 1974 — General election
Also represented Devizes; Edinburgh South; Berwick and East Lothian
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Afghanistan: Peacekeeping Operations
Currently held offices
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (since 14 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Joint Committee on Security (7 Dec 2010 to 5 Sep 2011)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (7 Dec 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Intelligence and Security (Cabinet Office) Committee (3 Aug 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (26 Jan 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Defence & Deputy Leader, Defence (20 May 2005 to 16 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State (10 May 2005 to 6 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Foreign Secretary & Deputy Leader, Foreign Affairs (17 Mar 2005 to 20 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Affairs, Shadow Foreign Secretary & Deputy Leader, International Affairs (10 May 2004 to 17 Mar 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State (10 Nov 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State (18 Sep 2001 to 10 Nov 2003)
- Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party (18 Sep 2001 to 6 Dec 2005)
- Without portfolio (2 Dec 1998 to 18 Sep 2001)
- Party Chair, Conservative Party (2 Dec 1998 to 18 Sep 2001)
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (2 Jun 1998 to 2 Dec 1998)
- Shadow Secretary of State (11 Jun 1997 to 2 Jun 1998)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Northern Ireland Office) (27 May 1993 to 5 Jan 1994)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 26 Jul 1993)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Scottish Office) (13 Jun 1983 to 14 Jun 1987)
- Member, Energy Committee (3 May 1979 to 9 Jun 1983)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
A business lunch in my constituency
under my name which raised money for constituency funds from numerous small donations. (Registered 6 July 2009)
8. Land and Property
Tenanted farm in Roxburghshire, Scotland, from which rental income is received.
Non-active partner in Nisbet Mill Farm partnership from which no payment has been received in the last year and none in the current farming year which starts June 2009
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from