‘(1) A local policing body may make one or more schemes for the transfer to itself from the chief officer of police of the police force maintained by the local policing body of rights and liabilities under, or in connection with, a relevant contract of employment provided that the condition in subsection (2) is satisfied in relation to each such scheme.
(2) The condition referred to in subsection (1) is that it is desirable to make the scheme to enable the local policing body to discharge functions that are, or are to be, conferred on it under or by virtue of the Police Reform Act 2002 as a result of the amendments of that Act made by section 10 of, and paragraph 36 of Schedule 4 to, this Act.
(3) For the purposes of this section a contract of employment is a relevant contract of employment if it is a contract of employment of a member of the civilian staff of the police force (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011) and the staff member is not designated under section 38 of the Police Reform Act 2002.
(4) The local policing body must obtain the consent of the chief officer of police to the making of the scheme.
(5) Where the chief officer of police does not consent to the making of the scheme, the local policing body may make the scheme notwithstanding subsection (4) if the Secretary of State consents to the making of the scheme.
(6) A scheme under subsection (1) must make provision that has the same or similar effect as the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (S.I. 2006/246) (so far as those regulations do not apply in relation to the transfer).”—
Local policing bodies will acquire additional functions by becoming a relevant review body for the purposes of Part 2 of the Police Reform Act 2002 (under paragraph 36 of Schedule 4 to the Bill) and may acquire additional functions in relation to complaints handling by giving a notice under section 13A of that Act (inserted by clause 10). Those acquired functions are currently chief officer of police functions. This new clause will enable staff to be transferred to local policing bodies to assist in the discharge of the acquired functions.