Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.Donate to our crowdfunder
With this it will be convenient to discuss the following: New clause 2Emissions performance standard
(1) The Secretary of State may by regulation introduce an Emissions Performance Standard to apply to all electricity generation plants.
(2) In this section Emission Performance Standard means a restriction on the amount of carbon dioxide that electricity generation plants are permitted to emit..
New clause 5Carbon emissions performance standard
(1) The Secretary of State shall make provision by regulations or otherwise for a carbon emissions performance standard to set the maximum level or levels of carbon dioxide that may be emitted per unit of output by all individual generating stations.
(2) The Secretary of State shall review the emissions performance standard established under section (1) no less frequently than every three years.
(3) In establishing the level or levels of the carbon dioxide emissions performance standard in section (1), and in carrying out the review required in section (2), the Secretary of State must
(a) take into account the most up-to-date scientific knowledge about climate change;
(b) obtain and take into account the advice of the Committee on Climate Change, particularly in relation to carbon budgets, medium and long-term emission reduction targets, and future emissions from the electricity generating sector.
(4) The Secretary of State must introduce the standard under section (1) no later than 12 months from the date on which this Act is passed..