Approval of proposed scheme
(1) The Transport Act 2000 is amended as follows.
(2) Omit section 126 (approval of proposed scheme).
(3) After section 125 insert
125A Consideration of proposed scheme
(1) If, having complied with section 125, the authority or authorities wish to proceed with the proposed scheme, they must apply to the appropriate consulting authority for its consideration.
(2) In this Part the appropriate consulting authority means
(a) where the area to which the scheme relates is in England, an approvals board for England; and
(b) where the area to which the scheme relates is in Wales, the Welsh Ministers.
(3) The application must include
(a) the authoritys or the authorities reasons for wishing to make the scheme; and
(b) such other information as the appropriate consulting authority may reasonably require.
(4) The appropriate consulting authority shall give its opinion on the proposed scheme within 28 days of the later of
(a) the application for its opinion; and
(b) the receipt of any further information requested under subsection (3)(b).
(5) The appropriate consulting authority may recommend modifications to the proposed scheme.
(6) Following receipt of the appropriate consulting authoritys opinion, the authority or authorities must take that opinion into account and may then proceed to
(a) make the proposed scheme;
(b) discontinue the proposed scheme; or
(c) make the proposed scheme with modifications.
(7) If the authority or authorities propose to make the scheme with modifications, they must first consult such of the persons they consulted under section 125(3) as would in their opinion be affected by those modifications..[Mr. Leech.]