‘(1) Section 57 of FHEA 1992 (intervention) is amended as set out in subsections (2) to (4).
(2) In subsection (2) (conditions for intervention), for paragraph (d) substitute—
“(d) they are satisfied that the institution is performing significantly less well than it might in all the circumstances reasonably be expected to perform, or is failing or likely to fail to give an acceptable standard of education or training.”
(3) After subsection (5) insert—
“(5A) The directions that may be given to a governing body under this section include a direction requiring a governing body to make collaboration arrangements (within the meaning of section 166 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006) with such bodies and on such terms as may be specified in the direction.”
(4) After subsection (6) insert—
“(6A) The Welsh Ministers may not direct a governing body under subsection (5)(c) to dismiss a member of staff.
(6B) But subsection (6A) does not prevent the Welsh Ministers, where they consider that it may be appropriate to dismiss a member of staff whom the governing body have power under their institution’s articles of government to dismiss, from giving the governing body such directions under this section as are necessary to secure that the procedures applicable to the consideration of the case for dismissal of that member of staff are given effect to in relation to that member of staff.”
(5) After section 57 of FHEA 1992 insert—
“57A Intervention policy: Wales
(1) The Welsh Ministers must—
(a) prepare a statement of their policy with respect to the exercise of their powers under section 57,
(b) keep it under review, and
(c) if they consider it appropriate in consequence of a review, prepare a revised statement of their policy.
(2) When preparing a statement or revised statement of their policy, the Welsh Ministers must—
(a) undertake such consultation as they think appropriate;
(b) consider any representations made to them about the policy to be set out in the statement.
(3) The Welsh Ministers must lay before the National Assembly for Wales a copy of any statement or revised statement prepared by them under this section.
(4) The Welsh Ministers must publish any statement or revised statement prepared by them under this section.
(5) The Welsh Ministers must have regard to the statement most recently published under subsection (4) in exercising,or deciding whether to exercise, any of their powers under section 57 in relation to an institution.”’.—[Bill Rammell.]