With this it will be convenient to take the following: Government amendments Nos. 37 to 46, 54 to 56 and 58 to 73
New clause 16—Accommodation in which persons aged under 18 may be detained—
‘(1) No person aged under 18 shall be detained in a young offender institution or a secure training centre unless the Secretary of State certifies that he can be detained safely.
(2) In section 107(1) of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing Act) 2000 (meaning of “youth detention accommodation”)—
(a) omit paragraphs (a) and (b); and
(b) in paragraph (c) after “by order specify” insert “but not including a secure training centre or young offender institution”.
(3) At the end of section 92(1)(b) of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 (detention under sections 90 and 91: place of detention etc.) substitute the full stop for a comma.
(4) At the end of section 92(1) insert “provided that such place is not a secure training centre or young offender institution”.
(5) Omit sections 23(7A) and (7B) of the Children and Young Persons Act 1969.
(6) Omit section 98 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.’.