Return to registrar of purchase of own shares
‘(1) Where a company purchases shares under this Chapter, it must deliver a return to the registrar within the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which the shares are delivered to it.
(2) The return must distinguish—
(a) shares in relation to which section (Treasury shares) (treasury shares) applies and shares in relation to which that section does not apply, and
(b) shares in relation to which that section applies—
(i) that are cancelled forthwith (under section (Treasury shares: cancellation) (cancellation of treasury shares)), and
(ii) that are not so cancelled.
(3) The return must state, with respect to shares of each class purchased—
(a) the number and nominal value of the shares, and
(b) the date on which they were delivered to the company.
(4) In the case of a public company the return must also state—
(a) the aggregate amount paid by the company for the shares, and
(b) the maximum and minimum prices paid in respect of shares of each class purchased.
(5) Particulars of shares delivered to the company on different dates and under different contracts may be included in a single return.
In such a case the amount required to be stated under subsection (4)(a) is the aggregate amount paid by the company for all the shares to which the return relates.
(6) If default is made in complying with this section an offence is committed by every officer of the company who is in default.
(7) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—
(a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine;
(b) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum and, for continued contravention, a daily default fine not exceeding one-tenth of the statutory maximum.’.—[Margaret Hodge.]