'(1) The National Assembly for Wales (''the Assembly'') must within one week beginning with the coming into force of this section designate under this subsection at least one energy efficiency aim.
(2) For the purposes of this section an ''energy efficiency aim'' is an aim which—
(a) is contained in a published document;
(b) relates to the energy efficiency of residential accommodation in Wales; and
(c) is compatible with Community obligations and any other international obligations of the United Kingdom.
(3) The Assembly may, at any time after designation under subsection (1), designate under this subsection a further energy efficiency aim or aims.
(4) Where an energy efficiency aim is for the time being designated under this section, the Assembly must (using the powers it has apart from this section) take reasonable steps to achieve the aim.
(5) In deciding which steps to take for the purposes of subsection (4), the Assembly must consider steps relating to the heating, cooling, ventilation, lighting and insulation of residential accommodation.
(6) A designation under this section may be withdrawn, but not if its withdrawal would result in there being no energy efficiency aim
designated under this section.
(7) If an energy efficiency aim designated under this section ceases to meet the condition in subsection (2)(c) it ceases to be designated under this section, but if this results in there being no energy efficiency aim so designated the Assembly must without delay designate a new energy efficiency aim.
(8) A designation of an aim under this section, or a withdrawal or cessation of such a designation, must be published in such way as the Assembly considers appropriate: a designation may be contained in the same published document as the aim itself.
(9) In this section ''residential accommodation'' has the meaning given by section 1 of the Home Energy Conservation Act 1995 (c.10).'.—[Brian White.]
Brought up, read the First and Second time, and added to the Bill.