I remind the Committee that with this we are taking the following:
New clause 1—Annual reports on progress towards sustainable energy aims—
'(1) The Secretary of State must in each calendar year, beginning with 2004, publish a report (''a sustainable energy report'') on the progress made in the reporting period towards—
(a) cutting the United Kingdom's carbon emissions;
(b) maintaining the reliability of the United Kingdom's energy supplies;
(c) promoting competitive energy markets in the United Kingdom; and
(d) reducing the number of people living in fuel poverty in the United Kingdom.
(2) ''The reporting period'', for the purposes of subsection (1), means the year ending with 23 February in the calendar year in question.
(3) Accordingly, the report must be published in that calendar year within the period beginning with 24 February and ending with 31 December (''the publication period'').
(4) A sustainable energy report may either be published as a single report or published in a number of parts during the publication period, and any such report or part may be contained in a document containing other material.
(5) A sustainable energy report must be based on such information as is available to the Secretary of State when the report is completed (except that if it is published in parts, each of those parts must be based on such information as is so available when that part is completed).
(6) For the purposes of this section a person is to be regarded as living in fuel poverty if he is a member of a household living on a lower income in a home which cannot be kept warm at a reasonable cost.'.
And the following amendments thereto:
Amendment (a), in
line 3, after 'towards', insert—
'( ) each of the following aims (''sustainable energy aims'')'.
Amendment (b), in
line 10, at end insert—
'( ) each of the following goals (''sustainable energy goals'')
(i) the generation of 20% electricity from renewable sources by 2010;
(ii) the generation of 10GWe of electricity by combined heat and power by 2010;
(iii) reductions in emissions of carbon dioxide of 20% based on 1990 levels by 2010;
(iv) reductions in emissions of carbon dioxide of 60% based on 1990 levels by 2050;
(v) carbon savings as a result of measures to improve domestic energy efficiency of 5 MtC by 2010 and a further 4 MtC by 2020.'.
Debate adjourned.—[Brian White.]
Adjourned accordingly at eleven minutes past Nine o'clock till a date and time to be fixed by the Chairman.