As a result of COVID-19, some MPs were less able to vote in Parliament in certain periods, and this will be reflected by absences in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
Shaun Bailey’s voting in Parliament
Shaun Bailey is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a random selection of Shaun Bailey’s votes.
Consistently voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2022.
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government Details
0 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2021.
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
2 votes for, 10 votes against, between 2020–2022.
Voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2020.
Generally voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
3 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2020.
Voted a mixture of for and against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
1 vote for, 2 votes against, 3 absences, in 2022.
Last updated: 18 May 2022.
Learn more about our voting records and what they mean.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shaun Bailey’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shaun Bailey’s full vote analysis page for more.
Shaun Bailey has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Firearms Bill: Second Reading – Shaun Bailey.
It is a pleasure to bring this matter to the Floor of the House. I will start in perhaps a different way by paying tribute to the Minister on the Treasury Bench. He and I have known each other for some three years, since we were elected together. People often say in this place that it is not a meritocracy and that it is who you know that gets you where you are, but my hon. Friend is certainly...
And fish as well, as my right hon. Friend points out. If we get this right, it will unlock a real opportunity to see the best of the Black Country and galvanise our communities. Whether people love it or loathe it, HS2 is a key part of the broader infrastructure journey for the west midlands. The metro extension from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill—should it be completed—will allow...
More of Shaun Bailey’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for West Bromwich West
Entered the House of Commons on 13 December 2019 — General election
Topics of interest
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Department for International Trade
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Sunscreens: VAT
- Parental Leave
- Non-domestic Rates
- Trade Agreements
Currently held offices
- Member, Equipment Theft (Prevention) Bill Committee (since 25 Jan 2023)
- Member, Online Safety (Re-committed Clauses and Schedules) Bill Committee (since 7 Dec 2022)
- Member, Carer’s Leave Bill Committee (since 2 Nov 2022)
- Member, Protection from Redundancy (Pregnancy and Family Leave) Bill Committee (since 26 Oct 2022)
- Member, National Security Bill Committee (since 12 Oct 2022)
- Member, Financial Services and Markets Bill Committee (since 12 Oct 2022)
- Member, Online Safety Bill Committee (since 18 May 2022)
- Member, Charities Bill [HL] Committee (since 19 Jan 2022)
- Member, Charities Bill [HL] Second Reading Committee (since 12 Jan 2022)
- Member, Dormant Assets Bill [HL] Committee (since 15 Dec 2021)
- Member, Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles (Safeguarding and Road Safety) Bill (England and Wales) Committee (since 27 Oct 2021)
- Member, Education (Careers Guidance in Schools) Bill Committee (since 22 Sep 2021)
- Member, Building Safety Bill Committee (since 9 Sep 2021)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (since 2 Mar 2020)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (9 Nov 2020 to 25 Oct 2022)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)