Ruth Smeeth’s voting in Parliament
Ruth Smeeth is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ruth Smeeth’s votes.
Voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 17 votes against, 6 absences, between 2015–2016
Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2016
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, between 2016–2018
Voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ruth Smeeth’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ruth Smeeth’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ruth Smeeth has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
Ceramics (Country of Origin Marking) Bill - 2nd reading – Ruth Smeeth.
To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, where the new University Enterprise Zones announced in Budget 2018 will be; and by what process that decision was reached.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what financial support further education and sixth form colleges receive for students who entered the UK via the Syrian Children's Resettlement Scheme.
More of Ruth Smeeth’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Stoke-on-Trent North
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Ruth Smeeth campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Department for Transport
- HM Treasury
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- Defence Fire and Rescue Service
- European Fighter Aircraft
- Hawk Aircraft
- Unitary Councils
Currently held offices
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (since 12 Sep 2017)
- Member, Defence Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 24 Nov 2015)
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (8 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Defence Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 47 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Ruth Smeeth’s speeches
- Has received answers to 48 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 78.74% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 59 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ruth Smeeth’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 74 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from