Cat Smith’s voting in Parliament
Cat Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Cat Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Cat Smith generally voted for measures to reduce tax avoidance, while most Labour MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Cat Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Cat Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Cat Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 5 Feb 2019
May we have a debate in Government time on how long is an acceptable length of time for a Department to respond to a Member’s inquiry? I wrote to the Minister for Employment 225 days ago on behalf of my constituent, Mr Scott, who received conflicting and incorrect advice from the Department for Work and Pensions. To date, he and I are still in the dark about the Department’s answer.
To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, with reference to the press release entitled Next round of Voter ID pilots announced for 2019, published 3 November 2018, which local authorities are (a) continuing to take part in and (b) have withdrawn from the pilot process; and what the reasons were for each local authority that has withdrawn.
Let us consider these figures: 25,342 and 21,900. Those were the number of voters who cast their votes for me and for the Minister to serve as elected parliamentarians, yet just 100-odd votes secured a win in the most recent hereditary peer by-election in the other place. He was eligible to stand because his great-grandad’s cousin’s dad’s fourth cousin’s dad’s cousin’s...
More of Cat Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Cat Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Cabinet Office
- Department for Digital
- Media and Sport
- Department of Health
- Department for Transport
- Department of Health and Social Care
- Electoral Register
- Local Government: Elections
- Voluntary Work: Young People
- Commonwealth: Young People
- Elections: Campaigns
Currently held offices
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (since 1 Nov 2016)
- Shadow Minister for Voter Engagement and Youth Affairs (since 27 Jun 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Junior Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (18 Sep 2015 to 27 Jun 2016)
- Member, Women and Equalities Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 12 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Cat Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 233 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 64.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 125 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Cat Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 68 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)