Richard Burgon’s voting in Parliament
Richard Burgon is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Richard Burgon sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Richard Burgon generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Richard Burgon’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Richard Burgon’s full vote analysis page for more.
Richard Burgon has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 4 Dec 2017
To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, how much compensation has been paid to prisoners as a result of delays in parole hearings in each year since March 2010.
To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, how much has been paid in compensation to (a) prisoners, (b) prison staff and (c) third parties as a result of injuries suffered in a violent attack on the prison estate in each year since 2010.
To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, what proportion of women on remand go on to receive a custodial sentence.
More of Richard Burgon’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leeds East
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Richard Burgon campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Justice
- HM Treasury
- Department of Health
- Home Office
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Prisons: Construction
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Legal Aid Scheme
- Personal Injury: Compensation
Currently held offices
- Shadow Lord Chancellor and Shadow Secretary of State for Justice (since 27 Jun 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Treasury) (18 Sep 2015 to 27 Jun 2016)
- Member, Justice Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 16 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Richard Burgon’s speeches
- Has received answers to 194 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 83.58% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 70 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Richard Burgon’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 63 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Dec 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Unite the Union
Address of donor: 128 Theobald's Road, Holborn, London WC1X 8TN
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £9,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 07 July 2017
Name of donor: GMB
Address of donor: Grove Hall, 60 College Road, Wakefield WF1 3RN
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 07 July 2017)
Non-practising solicitor. (Registered 06 June 2015
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from