Karin Smyth’s voting in Parliament
Karin Smyth is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Karin Smyth sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Karin Smyth generally voted for higher taxes on banks, while most Labour MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Karin Smyth’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Karin Smyth’s full vote analysis page for more.
Karin Smyth has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, whether hon. Members are able to access (a) funding for apprenticeships and (b) apprentices on account of the House's contribution to the apprenticeship levy; and if she will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, with reference to the combined salary bill of hon. members and Members of the House of Lords being in excess of the threshold for payment of the apprenticeship levy, if she will take steps to facilitate parliamentarians in contributing to and accessing funding for apprenticeships both in Parliament and in their parliamentary constituencies; and if...
I recently met the father of toddler, Harry Studley, whom hon. Members may remember was shot in the head with an air rifle in south Bristol last July. Harry’s dad has impressed me not only with his resilience in the face of adversity—he told me that Harry is doing well—but with his determination that, as a nation, we should learn something from this incident. May we have a...
More of Karin Smyth’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bristol South
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Karin Smyth campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department of Health
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department for Education
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Home Office
- General Practitioners: Bristol
- Health Professions: Registration
- Children: Maintenance
- NHS Property Services
- Apprentices: Taxation
Currently held offices
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (since 7 Jul 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 33 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Karin Smyth’s speeches
- Has received answers to 47 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.95% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 74 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Karin Smyth’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 33 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Apr 2017.
Name of donor: Healthcare Denmark
Address of donor: Forskerparken 10H, 5230 Odense, Denmark
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights and accommodation with a value of £946.14, plus reimbursement of expenses £23.49, total £969.63.
Destination of visit: Denmark
Dates of visit: 5-7 October 2016
Purpose of visit: Healthcare Denmark ambassador summit.
(Registered 14 October 2016; updated 07 December 2016
Name of donor: Falkland Islands Government
Address of donor: The Secretariat, Stanley, Falkland Islands FIQQ 1ZZ
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights, accommodation, meals and transport with a value of £3,124.55
Destination of visit: Falkland Islands
Dates of visit: 16-22 February 2017
Purpose of visit: Familiarisation.
(Registered 15 March 2017
From October 2016, Ambassador (unremunerated) for Healthcare Denmark, a body established by the Danish Government
in partnership with public and private providers. (Registered 21 October 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from