Karin Smyth’s voting in Parliament
Karin Smyth is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Karin Smyth’s votes.
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, between 2016–2018
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2016
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2016
Voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 18 votes against, 5 absences, between 2015–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Karin Smyth’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Karin Smyth’s full vote analysis page for more.
Karin Smyth has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 13 Jun 2018
This time last year saw my first speech at the Dispatch Box in this role. We had just returned from the snap general election, and I talked about the clear message the public had sent the Government. I rather hoped the Government had learned from it. I thought they might have learned a bit of humility or taken the opportunity to reflect on the red lines and whether the “no running...
Baroness Newlove, in terms of the sorts of things you would like to see for victim support, are you looking at models elsewhere in the world and considering whether they may be helpful for us? I know you are working on it here, but is there anywhere else that looks goodQ ?
Q I do not disagree. I am just interested in whether there are places that could be considered with other resources.
More of Karin Smyth’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bristol South
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Karin Smyth campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department of Health
- Department of Health and Social Care
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Home Office
- Department for Education
- NHS Property and Estates Review
- NHS Property Services
- Children: Maintenance
- General Practitioners: Bristol
- NHS Property Board
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (7 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 69 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Karin Smyth’s speeches
- Has received answers to 85 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 80.17% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 89 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Karin Smyth’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 69 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from