James Cleverly’s voting in Parliament
James Cleverly is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, James Cleverly sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
James Cleverly voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
James Cleverly voted for requiring pub companies to offer pub landlords rent-only leases, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of James Cleverly’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit James Cleverly’s full vote analysis page for more.
James Cleverly has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 19 Dec 2018
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. In your response to the point of order from my hon. Friend the Member for Walsall North (Eddie Hughes), you said that this was an unprecedented thing. In response to the point of order from my hon. Friend the Member for North East Somerset (Mr Rees-Mogg), you said that you did not necessarily intend this to set a future precedent. It is clear that it is...
Would it not be appropriate to take time to reflect on the precedent that this decision might set, and instead to make a decision in slower time at a less contentious moment in the business of this House?
More of James Cleverly’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Braintree
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
James Cleverly campaigned to leave the European Union
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Cabinet Office
- Scotland Office
- Home Office
- Commonwealth Secretariat: Finance
- MOD Wethersfield
- Commonwealth Secretariat: Public Appointments
- Elections: Fraud
- Ministry of Defence: Property
Currently held offices
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (since 8 Jan 2018)
- Member, Consolidation Bills (Joint Committee) (since 6 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Trade Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Consolidation Bills (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 41 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all James Cleverly’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 93.58% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 68 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on James Cleverly’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 71 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 7 Jan 2019.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
House in Lewisham, owned jointly with my wife: (i) and (ii). (Registered 04 June 2015)
Officer in the Reserve Forces. I have received no payments since my election. (Registered 04 June 2016; updated 27 October 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)