Jeff Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Jeff Smith’s voting in Parliament
Jeff Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Jeff Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Jeff Smith generally voted for higher taxes on banks, while most Labour MPs generally voted against.
Jeff Smith generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jeff Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jeff Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jeff Smith has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what assessment she has made of the effect on consumers of the practice by certain mobile phone companies of enforcing a two-week wait before customers can receive their unlock codes in order to change provider.
Nearly 2 million people signed up to vote in the European Union referendum earlier this year. It is surely right that constituencies are based on the actual electorate who want to vote, so is the Prime Minister not concerned that the boundary review is going ahead next week without including those 2 million voters?
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps she is taking to ensure that academics in the UK will be able to continue collaborating with academics in universities in EU member states after the UK leaves the EU.
More of Jeff Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Manchester, Withington
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Department of Health
- Department for Education
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Culture
- Media and Sport
- Prescriptions: Fees and Charges
- Mediterranean Sea: Refugees
- Mental Health Services: Offenders
- General Practitioners: Manchester Withington
- Faith Schools: Admissions
Currently held offices
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 18 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 39 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Jeff Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 32 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.49% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 146 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jeff Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 29 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Sep 2016.
Name of donor: Hong Kong Government
Address of donor: c/o Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, 18 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3JA
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): accommodation (£1,768.28), flights (£8,430.19), transport (£237.59) and expenses (£57.01) with a total value of £10,493.07
Destination of visit: Hong Kong
Date of visit: 25-29 January 2016
Purpose of visit: as a member of the APPG
on China, to maintain bilateral ties; support British businesses operating in Hong Kong; and deepen the knowledge of parliamentarians of Hong Kong’s political, social and economic development.
(Registered 17 March 2016
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from