Jeff Smith’s voting in Parliament
Jeff Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Jeff Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Jeff Smith generally voted for higher taxes on banks, while most Labour MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Jeff Smith generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jeff Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jeff Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jeff Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 29 Jun 2017
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what evidence in favour of decriminalisation she considered in drafting the Drug Strategy 2017.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment she has made of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs's recommendation that the treatment services that are most effective will be those that combine harm reduction services with support to recovery.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what funding her Department has provided to (a) support the implementation of the Drug Strategy 2017 and (b) evaluate the effect of that strategy.
More of Jeff Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Manchester, Withington
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Jeff Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department of Health
- Home Office
- Department for Education
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Mobile Phones: Competition
- Prescriptions: Fees and Charges
- Vetting: Greater Manchester
- Mediterranean Sea: Refugees
Currently held offices
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 18 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 33 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Jeff Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 47 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.89% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 151 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jeff Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 44 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 31 Jul 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Neil Peden
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 06 July 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from