Jeff Smith’s voting in Parliament
Jeff Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Jeff Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Jeff Smith generally voted for higher taxes on banks, while most Labour MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Jeff Smith generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jeff Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jeff Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jeff Smith has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many and what proportion of applicants for the 30-day entry visas to the UK specified a future date for travel on their application form.
Whether it is her policy to (a) retain and (b) strengthen existing environmental standards regulations after the UK has left the EU.
Ensuring that environmental regulations are introduced in the great repeal Bill is fine: that is very important. At least as important, however, is ensuring that those regulations are permanent. Will the Government commit themselves to placing no limit on the timeframe within which regulations will remain in place to protect our health?
More of Jeff Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Manchester, Withington
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Jeff Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department of Health
- Department for Education
- Home Office
- Department for Culture
- Media and Sport
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Mobile Phones: Competition
- Prescriptions: Fees and Charges
- Vetting: Greater Manchester
- Mediterranean Sea: Refugees
Currently held offices
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 18 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 40 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Jeff Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 55 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 77.09% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 150 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jeff Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 41 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from