A selection of Richard Arkless's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 20 votes against, 3 absences, between 2015–2016
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Consistently voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
8 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Richard Arkless’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Richard Arkless’s full vote analysis page for more.
Unlike some other Members, Madam Deputy Speaker, I did not make my maiden speech with you in the Chair, but I seem to have made a number of speeches in front of you, although some have been made to an empty Chamber. Perhaps, if we are both lucky enough to be re-elected, we will not be drawing the short straw during the next parliamentary term. As the Minister said, the Bill’s passage...
I corroborate that: the Minister has never given any indication at any point in the process that he does not agree with the thrust of what we have been saying. It is heartening to hear that he has corroborated our position in the consultation. My only request to him—and I will take him at face value—is that he and his Department show the same energy in tackling this issue beyond...
I agree with my hon. and learned Friend, but the jurisdictional issue still comes into play. Although of course I agree completely with the thrust of her substantive argument that it would be sensible to compel the OTs to publish these registers, unless I can satisfy myself that this place has locus to do so, I would find it very difficult to support that suggestion. My view is that we will...
More of Richard Arkless’s recent appearances
Former Scottish National Party MP for Dumfries and Galloway
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Richard Arkless campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department for Culture
- Media and Sport
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Department for Exiting the European Union
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Office
- Free Movement of People
- Radioactive Waste: Dumfries and Galloway
- Free Movement of People: Voluntary Work
- Dogs: Smuggling
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 52 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Richard Arkless’s speeches
- Has received answers to 45 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 59.10% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 46 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 68 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Until 14 December 2016
, one flat in Glasgow, Strathclyde: (i) and (ii). (Registered 05 June 2015; updated 10 April 2017
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Led Warehouse Ltd, online lighting retailer. (Registered 05 June 2015)
I am a non practising Solicitor, qualified in Scotland, England and Wales. (Registered 05 June 2015)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Anne Elizabeth Arkless, as part-time Personal Assistant. (Registered 05 June 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from