Tommy Sheppard’s voting in Parliament
Tommy Sheppard is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Tommy Sheppard’s votes.
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
43 votes for, 3 votes against, 9 absences, between 2015–2018
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, in 2016
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government
Consistently voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2015–2016
Has never voted on an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency
Voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Tommy Sheppard’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Tommy Sheppard’s full vote analysis page for more.
Tommy Sheppard has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
What recent assessment she has made of the effect of the roll-out of universal credit on women.
The Minister will know that universal credit pays less to lone parents under 25 than the current legacy benefits. Given that 90% of young lone parents are women, surely that is a clear and blatant case of discrimination against them. Will the Minister speak to the new Work and Pensions Secretary to ask for a review of this policy?
In the past week, the police have begun an investigation into whether Arron Banks used foreign money to buy the Brexit referendum. We have also seen Shahmir Sanni victimised for blowing the whistle on electoral crime by Vote Leave. Is it not now time for the Government to admit that the legitimacy of their mandate for the referendum is fatally compromised?
More of Tommy Sheppard’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Edinburgh East
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Tommy Sheppard campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Cabinet Office
- Home Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Israel: Palestinians
- Fort Kinnaird: Sales
- Refugees: Children
- Passports: British Nationals Abroad
- Jobcentres: Edinburgh
Currently held offices
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Scotland) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (House of Lords) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (since 20 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Privileges (28 Oct 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Committee on Standards (9 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 69 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Tommy Sheppard’s speeches
- Has received answers to 79 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.48% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 70 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Tommy Sheppard’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 179 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 29 Oct 2018.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Commercial premises in Edinburgh, owned by Salt 'n' Sauce promotions Ltd (see category 7 below): (i). (Registered 04 June 2015
Residential property in Edinburgh, owned by Salt 'n' Sauce promotions Ltd (see category 7 below): (i). (Registered 04 June 2015)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Salt 'n' Sauce Promotions Ltd; an entertainment company. (Registered 04 June 2015)
The Scottish Comedy Agency Ltd; organising and promoting comedy related entertainment. (Registered 19 February 2016
Board Member (unpaid) of Common Weal, a 'think and do tank' campaigning for social and economic equality in Scotland. (Registered 06 September 2017
From February 2017, Council member (unpaid) of the Scottish Independence Convention
, an umbrella group bringing together pro-independence parties, groups and organisations to promote the concept and ideals of an independent Scotland. (Registered 06 September 2017)
From September 2017, Honorary President
, a charity offering direct mentoring to minority ethnic communities in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Scottish Borders and Fife. (Registered 06 September 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from