Tommy Sheppard’s voting in Parliament
Tommy Sheppard is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Tommy Sheppard’s votes.
Consistently voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2015–2016
Consistently voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
8 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016
Voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2016
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, in 2016
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
35 votes for, 3 votes against, 3 absences, between 2015–2018
We have lots more plain English analysis of Tommy Sheppard’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Tommy Sheppard’s full vote analysis page for more.
Tommy Sheppard has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 23 May 2018
Why is the Secretary of State misleading Members of this House and misrepresenting the views of the Scottish Parliament? He must surely know that the Scottish Government have no objection to common arrangements and that there has been no attempt to have a veto. In fact, the Scottish Government have sought to have a partnership, with a common agreed disputes procedure when differences might...
The Leader of the House must surely be more concerned than most about how the way in which we do business in this Chamber is perceived by the outside world. Whatever happened on Tuesday evening, our procedures failed democracy in this country. The problem was not because of the number of votes, but because of the archaic and cumbersome method by which we vote, so will she bring forward, in...
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many visa applicants seeking to join a family member in the UK had a DNA test to evidence their relationship to that family member in each year for which information is available; and how many of those DNA tests proved that the relationship between the visa applicant and their family member living in the UK was as they claimed it to be.
More of Tommy Sheppard’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Edinburgh East
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Tommy Sheppard campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Cabinet Office
- Home Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Refugees: Children
- Israel: Palestinians
- Passports: British Nationals Abroad
- Ministry of Defence: Public Expenditure
- Carer's Allowance: Scotland
Currently held offices
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Scotland) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (House of Lords) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (since 20 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Privileges (28 Oct 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Committee on Standards (9 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 61 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Tommy Sheppard’s speeches
- Has received answers to 90 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.33% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 71 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Tommy Sheppard’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 158 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 4 Jun 2018.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Commercial premises in Edinburgh, owned by Salt 'n' Sauce promotions Ltd (see category 7 below): (i). (Registered 04 June 2015
Residential property in Edinburgh, owned by Salt 'n' Sauce promotions Ltd (see category 7 below): (i). (Registered 04 June 2015)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Salt 'n' Sauce Promotions Ltd; an entertainment company. (Registered 04 June 2015)
The Scottish Comedy Agency Ltd; organising and promoting comedy related entertainment. (Registered 19 February 2016
Board Member (unpaid) of Common Weal, a 'think and do tank' campaigning for social and economic equality in Scotland. (Registered 06 September 2017
From February 2017, Council member (unpaid) of the Scottish Independence Convention
, an umbrella group bringing together pro-independence parties, groups and organisations to promote the concept and ideals of an independent Scotland. (Registered 06 September 2017)
From September 2017, Honorary President
, a charity offering direct mentoring to minority ethnic communities in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Scottish Borders and Fife. (Registered 06 September 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from