Alison Thewliss’s voting in Parliament
Alison Thewliss is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Alison Thewliss’s votes.
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2016
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, in 2016
Consistently voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
8 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016
Has never voted on an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2016
Almost always voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alison Thewliss’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alison Thewliss’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alison Thewliss has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 20 Dec 2017
Details to be provided – Alison Thewliss.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when her Department plans to respond to the letter of 8 February from the hon. Member for Glasgow Central on Mr Wasim Iqbal.
My hon. Friend is making a good point on the marriage allowance, as ever. Does she agree that it creates a significant inequality, in that I, as a married woman, suddenly get this advantage over an unmarried woman? That is an injustice and an unfairness in the tax system. The Government really should not be in the business of telling people that it is financially beneficial to get married.
More of Alison Thewliss’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Glasgow Central
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Alison Thewliss campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Office
- Department for Work and Pensions
- HM Treasury
- Department of Health
- Cabinet Office
- Social Security Benefits: Children
- Sanitary Protection: VAT
- Visas: New Businesses
- Members: Correspondence
- Deportation: Yemen
Currently held offices
- Member, Procedure Committee (since 20 Nov 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Treasury) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Cities) (since 20 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee (13 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 132 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Alison Thewliss’s speeches
- Has received answers to 121 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 83.87% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 73 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alison Thewliss’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 169 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from