Owen Thompson’s voting in Parliament
Owen Thompson is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Owen Thompson’s votes.
Has never voted on an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, 4 absences, between 2015–2016
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, in 2016
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2016
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Owen Thompson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Owen Thompson’s full vote analysis page for more.
Owen Thompson has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
If he will make it his policy to include in national insurance notification letters to 15 and 16-year-olds information on being able to register to vote from the age of 16.
Clearly, any steps to improve voter registration have to be welcomed, but does the Minister agree that a far more efficient and cost-effective way to do so would be simply to introduce a system of automatic voter registration?
I congratulate the hon. Member for St Austell and Newquay (Steve Double) on introducing this debate and the hon. Member for Gower (Byron Davies) on securing it. It is clear from hon. Members’ contributions today that there is a large degree of agreement among us all. We have heard about the benefits of the local pub in our constituencies—I certainly support the pubs in mine as...
More of Owen Thompson’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Midlothian
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Owen Thompson campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Defence
- HM Treasury
- Department for Culture
- Media and Sport
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- Cabinet Office
- Military Bases: Glencorse
- Radioactive Materials: Transport
- Big Lottery Fund: Scotland
- Armed Forces: Sexual Offences
- Iraq Committee of Inquiry
Currently held offices
- Member, Committee of Selection (since 17 Jun 2015)
- SNP Whip (since 20 May 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 27 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Owen Thompson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 27 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 66.67% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 44 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Owen Thompson’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 33 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 20 Mar 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: The Scotch Whisky Association
Address of donor: Quartermile Two, 2 Lister Square, Edinburgh EH3 9GL
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: as part of an APPG
on Scotch Whisky fact-finding visit to Islay, travel, accommodation and subsistence with a value of £379.41
Date received: 7-8 October 2016
Date accepted: 7 October 2016
Donor status: company, registration SC035148
(Registered 20 October 2016)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my partner, Kelly-Marie Parry, as Senior Parliamentary Assistant. (Registered 20 October 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from