As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
Owen Thompson’s voting in Parliament
Owen Thompson is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a random selection of Owen Thompson’s votes.
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, 4 absences, between 2015–2016.
Voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2016–2020.
Consistently voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016.
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, between 2015–2016.
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
13 votes for, 3 votes against, 1 absence, between 2016–2020.
Voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2016.
Last updated: 12 Oct 2020.
Learn more about our voting records and what they mean.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Owen Thompson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Owen Thompson’s full vote analysis page for more.
Owen Thompson has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, if he will introduce new protections for policy holders with companies in administration, to ensure that they are reimbursed the full amount of their policy is worth if that policy becomes invalidated through no fault of their own.
To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, whether he had recent discussions with FRP Advisory on the collapse of Safe Hands Funeral Plans.
To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will introduce a package of protection for previous policy holders with Safe Hands Funeral Plans.
More of Owen Thompson’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Midlothian
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Owen Thompson campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Ministry of Defence
- Home Office
- Commonwealth and Development Office
- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
- Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and War Pensions
- Beer: Excise Duties
- Bounce Back Loan Scheme and Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
- Military Bases: Glencorse
Currently held offices
- Member, Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles (Disabled Persons) Bill Committee (since 2 Feb 2022)
- SNP Chief Whip (since 9 Mar 2021)
- Member, Air Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Bill [Lords] Committee (since 4 Feb 2021)
- Member, Consolidation, &c., Bills (Joint Committee) (since 6 Jul 2020)
- Member, Procedure Committee (since 2 Mar 2020)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (since 21 Jan 2020)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, European Statutory Instruments Committee (10 Feb 2020 to 25 May 2021)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (27 Jan 2020 to 25 May 2021)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (27 Jan 2020 to 25 May 2021)
- Member, Committee of Selection (15 Jan 2020 to 25 May 2021)
- SNP Whip (7 Jan 2020 to 9 Mar 2021)
- Member, Committee of Selection (17 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- SNP Whip (20 May 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
SNP MPs only attend sittings where the legislation pertains to Scotland.
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 16 May 2022.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in Midlothian: (i). (Registered 09 January 2020)
Trustee of White Ribbon Scotland, a campaign to end violence against women. (Registered 09 January 2020)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)