There are currently votes on relevant topics that are not included in the summaries below. We are working on bringing these records up to date over the next few months.
As a result of COVID-19, some MPs were less able to vote in Parliament in certain periods, and this will be reflected by absences in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
Martin Docherty’s voting in Parliament
Martin Docherty is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a random selection of Martin Docherty’s votes.
Consistently voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2022.
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
62 votes for, 8 votes against, 18 absences, between 2017–2021.
Consistently voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2015–2016.
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, 1 absence, between 2016–2020.
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2020.
Has never voted on raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Details
0 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, in 2022.
Last updated: 2 Mar 2022.
Learn more about our voting records and what they mean.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Martin Docherty’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Martin Docherty’s full vote analysis page for more.
Martin Docherty has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I rise to speak not only as the Member for West Dunbartonshire but because, coming from a place like Clydebank, I am keenly aware of what it is like growing up in a place that had the worst aerial bombardment in these islands during the second world war, playing in the ruins and the bomb craters. That is why it is clear to me that just as planning for a new social settlement for people in...
I wonder if the Secretary of State could advise the House: what discussions will take place between his Department and the Scotland Office on enabling fracking in Scotland?
I congratulate the Leader of the House on her appointment. My constituency celebrates two very important anniversaries this year: first, the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the “Sons of the Rock”, Dumbarton FC, which two members of my family have played for; and secondly, of course, the 800th anniversary of the royal borough of Dumbarton, which was founded by our late king,...
More of Martin Docherty’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for West Dunbartonshire
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Martin Docherty campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Defence
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Home Office
- Department for International Trade
- Unmanned Air Vehicles
- Wind Power
- Jobcentres: Dumbartonshire
- Tornado Aircraft: Accidents
- Social Security Benefits: Cryptocurrencies
Currently held offices
- Member, Select Committee on the Armed Forces Bill (since 25 Feb 2021)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Foreign Affairs Team Member) (since 7 Jan 2020)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Defence Team Member) (since 7 Jan 2020)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (PPS to the Westminster Leader) (since 7 Jan 2020)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Industries of the Future and Blockchain Technologies) (since 1 Jul 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Select Committee on the Armed Forces Bill (22 Feb 2021 to 22 Feb 2021)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (6 Jul 2020 to 5 Jan 2022)
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (5 Mar 2020 to 5 Jan 2022)
- Member, Defence Committee (2 Mar 2020 to 5 Jan 2022)
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (12 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Defence Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Industries for the future) (20 Jun 2017 to 1 Jul 2018)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Voluntary Sector) (1 Sep 2016 to 20 Jun 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
SNP MPs only attend sittings where the legislation pertains to Scotland.
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)