Chris Law’s voting in Parliament
Chris Law is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Chris Law’s votes.
Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 18 votes against, 5 absences, between 2015–2016
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2015–2016
Consistently voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, between 2015–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Chris Law’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Chris Law’s full vote analysis page for more.
Chris Law has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 4 Dec 2017
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations the Government has made to the Aung San Suu Kyi on releasing all political prisoners in Burma.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he expects to conclude his review on whether the UK Government should sign the Safe Schools Declaration.
To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, whether the Government of Burma has informed the UK Government that aid agencies using the word Rohingya will face restrictions on their activities.
More of Chris Law’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Dundee West
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Chris Law campaigned to remain in the European Union
- HM Treasury
- Home Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for International Development
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Revenue and Customs: Dundee
- Revenue and Customs: Scotland
- Personal Independence Payment: Multiple Sclerosis
- Passports: Interviews
Currently held offices
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (since 10 Oct 2017)
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (since 13 Sep 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (International Development) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Climate Justice) (since 20 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 33 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Chris Law’s speeches
- Has received answers to 58 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 86.57% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 55 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Chris Law’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 50 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Dec 2017.
Name of donor: Global Citizen
Address of donor: 23 Fitzroy Street, Bloomsburg, London W1T 4BP
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Travel and accommodation with an estimated value of £400
Destination of visit: Hamburg, Germany
Dates of visit: 5 - 7 July 2017
Purpose of visit: In my capacity as SNP
Spokesperson for International Development
and Climate Justice, to attend events surrounding the G20 Summit on tackling poverty and inequality.
(Registered 19 October 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in Dundee: (i). (Registered 26 May 2015
Flat in Aberdeen, owned by CMAL
Ltd: (i). (Registered 26 May 2015)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
CMAL Limited, financial services company. (Registered 26 May 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from