Mhairi Black’s voting in Parliament
Mhairi Black is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Mhairi Black’s votes.
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2015–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 18 votes against, 5 absences, between 2015–2016
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
18 votes for, 2 votes against, 5 absences, between 2016–2017
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2016
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Mhairi Black’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Mhairi Black’s full vote analysis page for more.
Mhairi Black has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
I am going to make a straightforward speech as I am aware of how many Members want to speak. I am conscious that many of our debates involve jargon that is inaccessible to most people who try to follow politics, so I rise to make just three basic points. First, I will explain what universal credit actually is. Secondly, I will describe what has gone wrong since the universal credit roll-out...
I thank my hon. Friend for raising that point because I want to say to Conservative Members that none of us is lying about our experiences. We are not making things up. We are coming to the House with genuine problems that the Government are failing to address. DWP figures show that around one in four new claimants waits longer than six weeks to be paid—a 25% failure rate: staggeringly...
I will keep going. To progress with the roll-out of universal credit as it stands is callous at worst and arrogantly idiotic at best. We have heard multiple times that people can now apply for an advance payment, but the fact is that those advance payments are nothing more than a loan that has to be paid back at a later date. Simply changing the terms of that loan does nothing about the...
More of Mhairi Black’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Paisley and Renfrewshire South
Entered the House of Commons on 8 May 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
Mhairi Black campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- HM Treasury
- Cabinet Office
- Attorney General
- Jobseeker's Allowance: Disqualification
- Post Office: Redundancy Pay
- Pensions: Young People
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit: Asbestos
Currently held offices
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Pensions) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Youth affairs) (since 20 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 12 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Mhairi Black’s speeches
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 17.39% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 168 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mhairi Black’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 56 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Oct 2017.
1. Employment and earnings
From 3 October 2015
, weekly newspaper column for The National, Newsquest Media (Herald & Times) Ltd, 200 Renfield St, Glasgow G2 3QB, for which I receive £150 per week until further notice. Hours: approx. 3 hrs per week. Payments are made direct to charity. First payment of £900 received on 1 December 2015
. (Registered 18 December 2015; updated 5 January 2016
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Glastonbury Festivals
Address of donor: Worthy Farm, Pilton, Shepton Mallet BA4 4BY
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two tickets for Glastonbury 2016
, where I gave a talk and took part in a political debate on the Left Field Stage, total value £446
Date received: 15 June 2016
Date accepted: 15 June 2016
Donor status: company, registration 02737866
(Registered 11 October 2016
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from