Sarah Champion campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Sarah Champion’s voting in Parliament
Sarah Champion is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Sarah Champion’s votes.
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Almost always voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Sarah Champion’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Sarah Champion’s full vote analysis page for more.
Sarah Champion has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what Statutory Instruments required by the Modern Slavery Act 2015 have yet to be laid by her Department.
To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, when she plans to publish the sentencing guidelines for Part 1 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when guidance on Part 1 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 was sent to (a) Chief Police Officers in England and Wales, (b) the National Crime Agency, (c) HM Inspectorate of Constabularies and the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration.
More of Sarah Champion’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Rotherham
Entered the House of Commons on 30 November 2012 — Byelection
Topics of interest
- Home Office
- Ministry of Justice
- Asylum: Children
- Female Genital Mutilation
- Prisons: Restraint Techniques
- Human Trafficking
Currently held offices
- Shadow Minister (Home Office) (since 25 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Home Office) (18 Sep 2015 to 28 Jun 2016)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
- Member, Transport Committee (10 Dec 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 38 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Sarah Champion’s speeches
- Has received answers to 84 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 63.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 44 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Sarah Champion’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 90 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Aug 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Payments from Ipsos MORI
, 79-81 Borough Road, London SE1 1FY:
25 July 2016
, received £200 for completing a survey. Hours: 1 hr 30 mins. (Registered 28 July 2016)
Name of donor: Medical Aid for Palestinians
Address of donor: 33a Islington Park Street, London N1 1QB
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): flights, accommodation and transport; total value £1,300
Date of visit: 31 August-4 September 2015
Destination: West Bank
Purpose of visit: Fact finding visit to the West Bank and Israel organised by the Council for Arab-British Understanding and Medical Aid for Palestinians. (Registered 09 September 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from