Lucy Powell campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Lucy Powell’s voting in Parliament
Lucy Powell is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
This is a selection of Lucy Powell’s votes.
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lucy Powell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lucy Powell’s full vote analysis page for more.
Lucy Powell has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I did not expect to be on the Back Benches today, having resigned from a job that I relished doing over the past few months, but we are where we are. Yesterday on the television, the Secretary of State again presented the illusion that school budgets have been protected over the course of this Parliament, yet she and I both know that school budgets are facing significant cuts in real terms,...
This is the climbdown Queen’s Speech or the “as much as we can muster together” Queen’s Speech. It is a Queen’s Speech so fearful of its own destiny—or should I say demise?—that it seeks hardly any powers at all. Nowhere is that more stark than in its flimsy offerings on education and skills. The Prime Minister said only a few weeks ago that...
I absolutely agree with my hon. Friend’s excellent point. The shortage of teachers is the biggest issue facing education today, and the Government have only recently begun to acknowledge that there is a problem. Cuts to further education will make the Government’s agenda more difficult. As the Chair of the Science and Technology Committee pointed out, STEM subjects are critical if...
More of Lucy Powell’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Manchester Central
Entered the House of Commons on 16 November 2012 — Byelection
Party was Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Topics of interest
- Department for Education
- Cabinet Office
- Children: Day Care
- Employment Agencies
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Secretary of State for Education (14 Sep 2015 to 26 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office (5 Nov 2014 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Education) (7 Oct 2013 to 5 Nov 2014)
- Member, Transport Committee (26 Nov 2012 to 4 Nov 2013)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Lucy Powell’s speeches
- Has received answers to 41 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.37% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 121 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Lucy Powell’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 57 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Aug 2016.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: ITV
Address of donor: The London Television Centre, Upper Ground, London SE1 9LT
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two tickets to a match during the Rugby World Cup
in my capacity as local MP
; £875 per ticket (including hospitality), total £1,750
Date received: 10 October 2015
Date accepted: 10 October 2015
Donor status: company, registration no 4967001
(Registered 14 January 2016
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Shareholder and unremunerated director of company New Road Management which owns the freehold of 6 flats on Camberwell New Road, London, in one of which I live. (Registered 13 December 2012
; updated 2 June 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from