Rory Stewart’s voting in Parliament
Rory Stewart is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Rory Stewart sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Rory Stewart voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Rory Stewart’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Rory Stewart’s full vote analysis page for more.
Rory Stewart has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
The Government is committed, as set out on the 26 June at the Justice Select Committee and in the 2017 manifesto, to building up to 10,000 modern and decent prison places to replace old, expensive and unsuitable accommodation. This was reaffirmed by the Chancellor in the 2018 Budget, committing the Government to delivering the first two new prisons at Wellingborough and Glen Parva through...
This is a devolved issue and is therefore the responsibility of the Scottish Government.
Prison population projection data for England and Wales from July 2018 to March 2023, is regularly published by the department and is available online at https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/prison-population-p rojections-ns
More of Rory Stewart’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Penrith and The Border
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Rory Stewart campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Defence
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Armed Forces: Languages
- Defence Cultural Specialist Unit
- Pupils: Disadvantaged
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice (since 9 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (13 Jun 2017 to 9 Jan 2018)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development) (13 Jun 2017 to 9 Jan 2018)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (17 Jul 2016 to 13 Jun 2017)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 10 Oct 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (8 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (16 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (14 May 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Defence Committee (14 May 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Jun 2014)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 28 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Rory Stewart’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 91.83% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 196 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Rory Stewart’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 359 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 29 Oct 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
21 September 2017
, £15,815 for royalty payments for books written between 2004 and 2015. Hours: no additional hours. (Registered 03 October 2017
24 October 2017, received £1,924.42 for royalty payments for books written before the 2010 election. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 31 October 2017)
12 April 2018
, payment of £1,948.55 payment for French royalties for a book. Hours: no additional hours. (Registered 18 April 2018)
12 April 2018, payment of £1,794.02 for royalty payments of books written before the 2010 election. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 18 April 2018)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from