Rory Stewart’s voting in Parliament
Rory Stewart is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Rory Stewart sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Rory Stewart voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Rory Stewart’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Rory Stewart’s full vote analysis page for more.
Rory Stewart has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
While I cannot comment on individual cases, I would like to reassure The hon. Member for West Lancashire, Rosie Cooper MP, and the prison officer involved that assaults on our hard-working staff will never be tolerated. Prisoners can expect to face sanctions and, for serious assaults, be investigated by the police. The Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018 received Royal Assent on...
The Approvals and Compliance Team work for Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) and are directly employed staff. The team review the suitability of applicants where judgement is required as a result of the pre-appointment security vetting checks undertaken. The team comprises of a group of experienced Governors and staff from across HMPPS who are able to assess and...
The numbers of defendants who were granted bail at the Crown Court from January to March 2018 for these offences and the numbers of those who failed to appear in court are set out in tables 1 and 2. For those granted bail at magistrates’ courts in the first three months of 2018, there was one recorded FTA. The data record failing to appear (FTA) as a general category. We do not...
More of Rory Stewart’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Penrith and The Border
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Rory Stewart campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Defence
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Armed Forces: Languages
- Defence Cultural Specialist Unit
- Pupils: Disadvantaged
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice (since 9 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Jointly with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (13 Jun 2017 to 9 Jan 2018)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development) (13 Jun 2017 to 9 Jan 2018)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (17 Jul 2016 to 13 Jun 2017)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 10 Oct 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (8 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (16 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (14 May 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Defence Committee (14 May 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Jun 2014)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 27 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Rory Stewart’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 91.67% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 196 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Rory Stewart’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 334 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Oct 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
21 September 2017
, £15,815 for royalty payments for books written between 2004 and 2015. Hours: no additional hours. (Registered 03 October 2017
24 October 2017, received £1,924.42 for royalty payments for books written before the 2010 election. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 31 October 2017)
12 April 2018
, payment of £1,948.55 payment for French royalties for a book. Hours: no additional hours. (Registered 18 April 2018)
12 April 2018, payment of £1,794.02 for royalty payments of books written before the 2010 election. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 18 April 2018)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from