Julian Smith’s voting in Parliament
Julian Smith is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Julian Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Julian Smith voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Julian Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Julian Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Julian Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
Conservative MP for Skipton and Ripon
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Julian Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Innovation and Skills
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Procurement
- Conditions of Employment
- EU Law
- Departmental Food
Currently held offices
- Chief Whip (since 2 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee of Selection (12 Sep 2017 to 12 Sep 2017)
- Member, Selection Committee (12 Sep 2017 to 14 Nov 2017)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (13 Jun 2017 to 2 Nov 2017)
- Government Whip (17 Jul 2016 to 13 Jun 2017)
- Member, Committee of Selection (17 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 29 Nov 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Julian Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.42% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 152 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Julian Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 120 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from