Sarah Newton’s voting in Parliament
Sarah Newton is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Sarah Newton sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Sarah Newton consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Sarah Newton’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Sarah Newton’s full vote analysis page for more.
Sarah Newton has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 8 Feb 2017
I am grateful to my hon. Friend for allowing me to intervene to address amendment 4—he is quite right that I did not address it in my few words. The replacement of “Her Majesty’s Government” with “the Secretary of State” is to ensure that the Bill reflects the usual drafting conventions. In no way does it alter the overall responsibilities of the Government.
I have made the position very clear: we have already signed the convention, so all we are looking to do now is to ratify it.
I appreciate the opportunity for further clarification. We have signed the convention without any reservations.
More of Sarah Newton’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Truro and Falmouth
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Sarah Newton campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Energy and Climate Change
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- South West
- Cancer: Drugs
- Palliative Care
- Cold Weather Payments
- Fuel Poverty
Currently held offices
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (since 17 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (19 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (27 Feb 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 3 Dec 2012)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Sarah Newton’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 93.64% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 124 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Sarah Newton’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 217 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 20 Feb 2017.
1. Employment and earnings
2 February 2016
, payment of £200 from Ipsos MORI
, 3 Thomas More Square, London E1W 1YW, for completing a survey. Hours: 2 hrs. Fee paid direct to charity. (Registered 12 February 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Residential property near Falmouth: (i) and (ii). (Updated 24 June 2013
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from