Sarah Newton’s voting in Parliament
Sarah Newton is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Sarah Newton sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Sarah Newton consistently voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Sarah Newton’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Sarah Newton’s full vote analysis page for more.
Sarah Newton has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 18 Dec 2017
Parliamentary questions have been previously asked on this topic including PQ 117493 and PQ 115569. Provided they give advance notice, claimants of Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit can ask for their medical assessment to be recorded and the equipment will be supplied by the provider. Claimants may also use their own equipment to audio record their face-to-face...
I refer the hon. Member to the answer I gave to his previous question UIN 121453 .
The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (Levy) Regulations 2014 require active employers’ liability insurers to pay an annual levy based on their relative market share for the purpose of meeting the costs of the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS). This is in line with the commitment by the insurance industry to fund a scheme of last resort for sufferers of diffuse mesothelioma...
More of Sarah Newton’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Truro and Falmouth
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Sarah Newton campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Energy and Climate Change
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- South West
- Cancer: Drugs
- Palliative Care
- Cold Weather Payments
- Fuel Poverty
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (since 9 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (17 Jul 2016 to 9 Nov 2017)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (19 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (27 Feb 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 3 Dec 2012)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Sarah Newton’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 95.24% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 140 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Sarah Newton’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 278 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 8 Jan 2018.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Mr Evelyn A Boscawen
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 27 June 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Until 18 September 2017
, residential property near Falmouth: (i) and (ii). (Updated 24 June 2013
and 26 September 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from