Ian Mearns campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Ian Mearns’s voting in Parliament
Ian Mearns is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ian Mearns’s votes.
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
Consistently voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ian Mearns’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ian Mearns’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ian Mearns has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Harold Wilson said that a week is a long time in politics, but with recent events in this place, it feels as though 10 minutes is a long time in politics. However, time is of the essence for the Backbench Business Committee. I welcome the Leader of the House to his place and thank him for confirming the business on 8 September. To be able to decide about Back-Bench debates on 15 September,...
More of Ian Mearns’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Gateshead
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Royal Fleet Auxiliary
- Ministerial Policy Advisers
- Schools: Vocational Guidance
Currently held offices
- Chair, Backbench Business Committee (since 24 May 2016)
- Member, Education, Skills and the Economy Sub-Committee (since 25 Nov 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 10 Sep 2015)
- Member, Education Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Chair, Backbench Business Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 12 May 2016)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (30 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (29 Apr 2014 to 7 Jul 2015)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (10 Jun 2013 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (12 Jun 2012 to 25 Apr 2013)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (8 Nov 2010 to 1 May 2012)
- Member, Education Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 41 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Ian Mearns’s speeches
- Has received answers to 41 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 73.21% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 116 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Mearns’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 114 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from