Bob Stewart’s voting in Parliament
Bob Stewart is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Bob Stewart sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Bob Stewart voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
Bob Stewart consistently voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Bob Stewart’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Bob Stewart’s full vote analysis page for more.
Bob Stewart has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 23 May 2018
I thank my very good friend for allowing me to intervene on him. He cites migrants in Libya. I have not been to Libya, so I bow to my hon. Friend’s greater authority on the matter, but are those migrants refugees from other parts of Africa or displaced persons from within Libya, or are they economic migrants? It seems to me that they might be a mix of everything.
I ask my very good friend to forgive me for intervening a second time. I have had to deal with the mafia in the Balkans. It may be foreign-owned or run, but it uses local people. I am quite sure that, in Libya, the mafia to whom he is referring will often be Libyans who are actually working for foreigners. That makes it even more complicated.
I support everything that has just been said. However, there is a real problem with identifying people and it has to be clear. I have been dealing with people who claim to be someone they are not. The danger is that you will get the wrong person and the wrong country. So it is very important to ascertain the facts. That is the reason it takes so long. I agree it should be speeded up, but that...
More of Bob Stewart’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Beckenham
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Bob Stewart campaigned to leave the European Union
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Innovation and Skills
- Home Department
- Iran: Tanks
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 16 Oct 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (21 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (8 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Defence Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 3 Nov 2014)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 101 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Bob Stewart’s speeches
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.83% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 7 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 123 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Bob Stewart’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 334 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 18 Jun 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
From 1 February 2016
to 31 January 2017
, consultant providing leadership and mentoring services to LBC
Wise Counsel, Cheltenham Film and Photographic Studios, Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6PN. LBC Wise Counsel provides leadership and management training for lawyers. I will receive £500 a month for an expected monthly commitment of 5 hours. (Registered 03 February 2016)
Name of donor: HM Government of Gibraltar
Address of donor: 150 Strand, London WC2E 1JA
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): for myself and my partner, travel and accommodation with a total value of £1,126
Destination of visit: Gibraltar
Dates of visit: 7-11 September 2017
Purpose of visit: Gibraltar APPG
delegation as Secretary for Gibraltar National Day Celebrations.
(Registered 14 September 2017)
Name of donor: Government of Kazakhstan
Address of donor: Kazakhstan Embassy, 125 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5EA
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flight £2,392; accommodation £400; total value £2,792
Destination of visit: Astana
Dates of visit: 29 May – 2 June 2018
Purpose of visit: As part of the APPG on Kazakhstan, meetings with Parliament, Foreign Minister
, Chairman of Defence and Foreign Affairs Committee, Chairman of State Committee on Anti-Corruption, Nur Otan political party, Ak Zhol
political party, Kazakh Invest and Nazarbayev University
(Registered 04 June 2018)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Claire Podbielski-Stewart, as part-time Senior Parliamentary Assistant. (Registered 15 May 2015
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from