Alok Sharma campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Alok Sharma’s voting in Parliament
Alok Sharma is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Alok Sharma sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alok Sharma consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alok Sharma’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alok Sharma’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alok Sharma has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
The UK is a staunch defender of the right to freedom of religion or belief internationally. We believe that societies where freedom of religion or belief is protected are fairer, more tolerant and better able to resist extremist ideologies. With this in mind, we actively lobby governments for changes to laws and practices that discriminate against individuals on the basis of their religion or...
This is an issue of serious concern in light of the extensive inter-communal violence of 2012 and the large-scale Buddhist nationalist protests seen across Rakhine at the start of July this year. The British Government has repeatedly raised our concerns with the Burmese Government at the highest levels, and will continue to do so. The former Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth...
The British Government’s concerns that Burma’s 1982 citizenship law does not meet international standards is well known. It is clear that a thorough process of legislative and judicial reform is required in Burma. The new Government have formed a parliamentary committee to consider laws that require reform or repeal. That body has produced an initial list of 142 pieces of...
More of Alok Sharma’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Reading West
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Home Department
- Departmental Communication
- Industrial Health and Safety
- Departmental Public Consultation
- BRIC Countries
Currently held offices
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (since 17 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Treasury Committee (12 Sep 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (12 Jul 2010 to 14 Feb 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 5 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Alok Sharma’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 86.29% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 102 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alok Sharma’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 64 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Jul 2016.
Name of donor: Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
), London Office
Address of donor: 63D Eccleston Square, London SW1V 1PH
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): flights to and from Italy, accommodation, food and other travel with a total value of approximately £707
Destination of visit: Cadenabbia, Italy
Date of visit: 25-27 September 2015
Purpose of visit: invited by KAS London to participate in and speak at its annual European Expert Conference on the topics of Europe, finance and business competitiveness.
(Registered 22 October 2015
From 18 April 2016
, unpaid director of UK Indians for remaining in Europe Limited, a company established in order to campaign in the EU Referendum
campaign. (Registered 24 May 2016
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from