Esther McVey’s voting in Parliament
Esther McVey is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Esther McVey sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Esther McVey voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Esther McVey generally voted against reducing capital gains tax, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
Esther McVey voted for a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Esther McVey generally voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Esther McVey’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Esther McVey’s full vote analysis page for more.
Esther McVey has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 19 Nov 2018
Will the Leader of the House please arrange for a Minister to make a statement next week on the preparations for leaving the EU without a deal, on World Trade Organisation terms? Perhaps she will arrange for such a statement to be made every week until we leave. No-deal preparedness is vital for the UK. So far, the Government have been shy in setting out what they have been doing.
Can the Prime Minister assure the House today, as she has done on many other occasions, that the UK will be leaving the EU on 29 March 2019—come what may?
May I warmly welcome my right hon. Friend to her position and wish her every success? She will know that youth unemployment has fallen by half since 2010, so does she agree that ours is the party of opportunity and the party for young people?
More of Esther McVey’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Tatton
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Also represented Wirral West
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Overseas Students: Loans
- Science: Research
- Cancer: Drugs
- Students: Loans
- Pupil Exclusions
Other offices held in the past
- The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (8 Jan 2018 to 15 Nov 2018)
- Member, Selection Committee (14 Nov 2017 to 11 Jan 2018)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (2 Nov 2017 to 8 Jan 2018)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 4 Dec 2017)
- Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (15 Jul 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (7 Oct 2013 to 15 Jul 2014)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Esther McVey’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.75% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 137 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Esther McVey’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 310 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 3 Dec 2018.
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Until 13 November 2018
, LYJ Ltd; media, research and communications consultancy. Now dissolved. (Registered 07 July 2017; updated 28 November 2018)
Until 13 November 2018, Director (unpaid) of LYJ Ltd. (Registered 07 July 2017; updated 28 November 2018)
Trustee (Unpaid) of "If Chloe Can"; charity providing careers advice and support for young people. (Registered 07 July 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)