Esther McVey’s voting in Parliament
Esther McVey is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Esther McVey sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Esther McVey consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Esther McVey generally voted against reducing capital gains tax, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
Esther McVey consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
Esther McVey generally voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Esther McVey’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Esther McVey’s full vote analysis page for more.
Esther McVey has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 18 Dec 2017
I am delighted to hear that the Leader of the House will extend these measures to other forms of abuse. Will that include those MPs who go on rallies endorsing the lynching of other MPs? It is an absolute disgrace that senior MPs go about their business inciting violence against female MPs.
I am older and, I hope, wiser. Like all the ladies who are at my age, I am just hitting my stride and coming of age.
More of Esther McVey’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Tatton
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Also represented Wirral West
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Overseas Students: Loans
- Science: Research
- Cancer: Drugs
- Students: Loans
- Pupil Exclusions
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (since 8 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Selection Committee (14 Nov 2017 to 11 Jan 2018)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (2 Nov 2017 to 8 Jan 2018)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 4 Dec 2017)
- Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (15 Jul 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (7 Oct 2013 to 15 Jul 2014)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Esther McVey’s speeches
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 95.56% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 27 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 137 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Esther McVey’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 227 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 8 Jan 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
5 July 2017
, £1,230 for consultancy carried out for Noel Gay, 2 Stephen St, Bloomsbury, London W1T 1AN. Paid direct to LYJ Ltd. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 07 July 2017)
19 June 2017
, £3,000 for consultancy carried out for the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, Dorset House, First Floor, 27-45 Stamford St, London SE1 9NT. Paid direct to LYJ Ltd. Hours: none since my election. (Registered 07 July 2017; updated 31 July 2017)
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Boodle and Dunthorne Ltd
Address of donor: 178 New Bond St, London W1S 4RH
Amount of donation, or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000
Donor status: company, registration 472968
(Registered 07 July 2017)
Name of donor: J C Bamford Excavators Ltd
Address of donor: Lakeside Works, Rocester, Uttoxeter ST14 5JP
Amount of donation, or nature and value if donation in kind: £4,000
Donor status: company, registration 561597
(Registered 07 July 2017)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
LYJ Ltd; media, research and communications consultancy. (Registered 07 July 2017)
Director (unpaid) of LYJ Ltd. (Registered 07 July 2017)
Trustee (Unpaid) of "If Chloe Can"; charity providing careers advice and support for young people. (Registered 07 July 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from