Margot James’s voting in Parliament
Margot James is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Margot James sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Margot James consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Margot James’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Margot James’s full vote analysis page for more.
Margot James has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
It is a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Mr Hollobone. I congratulate the hon. Member for North Ayrshire and Arran (Patricia Gibson) on securing this important debate and her passionate and informative speech. The Government understand the concerns of the workforce across the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority estate, including employees working at the Hunterston A power station in...
I thank the hon. Gentleman for raising that important point, which was also raised by the hon. Members for North Ayrshire and Arran and for Dwyfor Meirionnydd (Liz Saville Roberts). My Department and the NDA will continue to meet trade union representatives regarding the cap on exit payments. My hon. Friend the Energy Minister is listening to the important concerns of workers in the NDA...
I understand that point, which the hon. Lady also made in her speech and which I took note of. I gather that she wrote to the Secretary of State about that very point in early February and is still awaiting a reply. A reply will be forthcoming. I am very sorry that I am not able to be definitive today, but I can assure her that Ministers in my Department take her point and the point made by...
More of Margot James’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Stourbridge
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Margot James campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Innovation and Skills
- Human Trafficking
- NHS: Drugs
- Industrial Health and Safety
- Higher Education: Admissions
Currently held offices
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (since 17 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 8 Nov 2012)
- Member, Business, Innovation and Skills Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 5 Nov 2012)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Margot James’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 94 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Margot James’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 189 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Mar 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Cottage in Worcestershire: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Violet Productions; film production
7. (ii) Other shareholdings, valued at more than £70,000
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from