Margot James’s voting in Parliament
Margot James is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Margot James sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Margot James consistently voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Margot James’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Margot James’s full vote analysis page for more.
Margot James has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 18 Dec 2017
Science and Technology: Algorithms in decision-making.
Witnesses: Elizabeth Denham, Information Commissioner Margot James MP, Minister for Digital and Creative Industries, Department for Digital,Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Buckley, Deputy Director, Digital Charter and Data Ethics, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Bilal Toure, Data Protection Policy, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
An error has been identified in the written answer given on 17 January 2018. The correct answer should have been: Given current use in the 1350 – 1375 MHz band it is not considered feasible to allow sharing in this band for Programme Making and Special Events. The band 1375 – 1400 MHz is used by the Ministry of Defence. Ofcom have reported that within the band 1350...
Given current use in the 1350 – 1375 MHz band it is not considered feasible to allow sharing in this band for Programme Making and Special Events. The band 1375 – 1400 MHz is used by the Ministry of Defence. Ofcom have reported that within the band 1350 – 1375 MHz there are currently 817 links. The band 1375 – 1400 MHz is used by the Ministry of Defence.
More of Margot James’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Stourbridge
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Margot James campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Innovation and Skills
- Human Trafficking
- NHS: Drugs
- Industrial Health and Safety
- Higher Education: Admissions
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Department for Culture, Media and Sport (since 9 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (17 Jul 2016 to 9 Jan 2018)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 8 Nov 2012)
- Member, Business, Innovation and Skills Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 5 Nov 2012)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Margot James’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 94.29% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 92 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Margot James’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 261 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 8 Jan 2018.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Jay Hunt
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: set of promotional videos to the value of £2,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 04 July 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Cottage in Worcestershire: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Violet Productions; film production
7. (ii) Other shareholdings, valued at more than £70,000
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from