Margot James’s voting in Parliament
Margot James is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Margot James sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Margot James consistently voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Margot James’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Margot James’s full vote analysis page for more.
Margot James has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
Women and Equalities: Fathers and the workplace.
Witnesses: Margot James MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Mark Holmes, Deputy Director, Labour Market, Individual Rights, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Employees who are employed for one month or more have a statutory right to receive a written statement setting out the main particulars of their employment. Employees who do not receive a written statement, or who believe it to be inaccurate or incomplete, may refer the matter to an employment tribunal. An employee is engaged under a contract of employment, which is brought into existence by...
The Government is committed to supporting working parents of premature and sick babies. Acas worked closely with the Department and various groups such as Bliss and The Smallest Things to get the guidance right and to promote it to the HR community, employers and parents. Both Acas and the Department released press notices to accompany its publication on 5 September. Acas specifically...
More of Margot James’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Stourbridge
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Margot James campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Innovation and Skills
- Human Trafficking
- NHS: Drugs
- Industrial Health and Safety
- Higher Education: Admissions
Currently held offices
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (since 17 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 8 Nov 2012)
- Member, Business, Innovation and Skills Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 5 Nov 2012)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 33 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Margot James’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 92.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 94 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Margot James’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 245 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Nov 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Jay Hunt
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: set of promotional videos to the value of £2,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 04 July 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Cottage in Worcestershire: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Violet Productions; film production
7. (ii) Other shareholdings, valued at more than £70,000
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from