Valerie Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Valerie Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Valerie Vaz’s votes.
Voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, in 2016
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 16 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2018
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 7 votes against, between 2010–2018
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 2 votes against, 6 absences, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Valerie Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Valerie Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Valerie Vaz has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
The petition reads as follows: The petition of residents of South Walsall, Declare that the “Home Education - Call for Evidence and revised DfE guidance” has been written following significant consultation with local authorities and no consultation whatsoever with the home education community; further that the consultation is consequently for little more than show as an intention...
I thank the Leader of the House for the statement. I, too, congratulate the Youth Parliament; it was absolutely wonderful to hear its members debate the issues rather than people. I thank the Leader of the House for the forthcoming business—again, it is a week and a day, and we do not seem to be any nearer getting the dates for Easter recess. The staff of the House need to make plans. I...
More of Valerie Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Walsall South
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Valerie Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Innovation and Skills
- Telephone Services
- NHS: Reorganisation
Currently held offices
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (since 31 Oct 2017)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (since 7 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, House of Commons Commission (21 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (7 Mar 2016 to 31 Oct 2016)
- Member, Draft Investigatory Powers Bill (Joint Committee) (5 Nov 2015 to 26 Nov 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (26 Oct 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (25 Jun 2015 to 11 Oct 2016)
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee (16 Oct 2014 to 17 Dec 2014)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from