Valerie Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Valerie Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Valerie Vaz’s votes.
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2016
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 15 votes against, 7 absences, between 2010–2015
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 44 votes against, 8 absences, between 2014–2016
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Consistently voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, between 2010–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Valerie Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Valerie Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Valerie Vaz has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 29 Jun 2017
I thank the Leader of the House for giving us the forthcoming business. I am afraid I have not been informed of any Opposition day—not even a careless whisper. Let me make it clear again: the Opposition had to call a debate on Monday because there was no discussion with the Government on our right to have those Opposition days. The Government need not have had that debate; they could...
More of Valerie Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Walsall South
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Valerie Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Innovation and Skills
- Telephone Services
- NHS: Reorganisation
Currently held offices
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (since 7 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, House of Commons Commission (21 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (7 Mar 2016 to 31 Oct 2016)
- Member, Draft Investigatory Powers Bill (Joint Committee) (5 Nov 2015 to 26 Nov 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (26 Oct 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (25 Jun 2015 to 11 Oct 2016)
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee (16 Oct 2014 to 17 Dec 2014)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Health Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from