Valerie Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Valerie Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Valerie Vaz’s votes.
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 16 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2018
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
Voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, in 2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 44 votes against, 8 absences, between 2014–2016
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
13 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2016
Voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Valerie Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Valerie Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Valerie Vaz has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 9 Apr 2019
May I again welcome the Comptroller of Her Majesty’s Household, the hon. Member for Sherwood (Mark Spencer), to the Chamber for this debate? I echo what other hon. Members have said in that he was excellent at the Dispatch Box this morning. Given that he had such a short time to prepare, I think he should have Whitsun off. This is always a great event in the House, and it is good that the...
May I welcome the hon. Gentleman to business questions and ask him to give us the forthcoming business?
I thank the hon. Gentleman for stepping up and giving us the forthcoming business. I do not know what I have done wrong, but it seems there is some sort of relationship with my hon. Friend the Member for Gateshead (Ian Mearns), who have got two extra Back-Bench days; I am obviously going to ask for our Opposition day back. I, too, want to place on record my thanks to the right hon. Member...
More of Valerie Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Walsall South
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Valerie Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Innovation and Skills
- Telephone Services
- NHS: Reorganisation
Currently held offices
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (since 31 Oct 2017)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (since 7 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, House of Commons Commission (21 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (7 Mar 2016 to 31 Oct 2016)
- Member, Draft Investigatory Powers Bill (Joint Committee) (5 Nov 2015 to 26 Nov 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (26 Oct 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (25 Jun 2015 to 11 Oct 2016)
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee (16 Oct 2014 to 17 Dec 2014)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)