Gavin Shuker’s voting in Parliament
Gavin Shuker is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
This is a selection of Gavin Shuker’s votes.
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2017
Almost always voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2018
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 16 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2018
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Gavin Shuker’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Gavin Shuker’s full vote analysis page for more.
Gavin Shuker has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 13 Jun 2018
The Minister has referred to the research that is going ahead. Does she not agree that if a large number of women who are involved in prostitution are being exploited—however we define that—and a small minority appear to work relatively freely and not under those same conditions, that small minority should not be able to outweigh the huge number of people being exploited? Should...
I beg to move, That this House has considered tackling demand for commercial sexual exploitation. I move the motion on behalf of my hon. Friend the Member for Rotherham (Sarah Champion). This cannot go on. Our laws against commercial sexual exploitation are failing. They are failing to deter traffickers, failing to prevent pimps—those who profit—and failing victims. Crucially, we...
My hon. Friend is absolutely right. This goes right to the heart of the question of consent. How is it possible, under our current law, for someone to fail to give consent the day before their 18th birthday, but then to be in a position in which consent is assumed the day after?
More of Gavin Shuker’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Luton South
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Party was Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Topics of interest
Gavin Shuker campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Home Department
- Free Schools: Luton
Currently held offices
- Member, Women and Equalities Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
- Member, Commons Reference Group on Representation and Inclusion Committee (since 15 Nov 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (28 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Women and Equalities Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 24 Nov 2015)
- Shadow Minister (International Development) (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Mar 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Transport Committee (2 Nov 2010 to 18 Jul 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Gavin Shuker’s speeches
- Has received answers to 24 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.57% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 96 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Gavin Shuker’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 153 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from