Gavin Shuker’s voting in Parliament
Gavin Shuker is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
This is a selection of Gavin Shuker’s votes.
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2015–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 44 votes against, 8 absences, between 2014–2016
Generally voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
10 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Consistently voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Gavin Shuker’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Gavin Shuker’s full vote analysis page for more.
Gavin Shuker has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
(Urgent Question): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will make a statement on recent changes to aviation security.
This is a major change to our aviation security regulations and carries serious potential for delay and confusion for UK passengers. First, will the Secretary of State explain why the UK and US bans were announced within hours of one another yet provide for different countries, different airlines and, in effect, different devices? The United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait and Morocco, for...
More of Gavin Shuker’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Luton South
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Party was Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Topics of interest
Gavin Shuker campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Home Department
- Free Schools: Luton
Currently held offices
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (since 28 Nov 2016)
- Member, Women and Equalities Committee (since 26 Oct 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 24 Nov 2015)
- Shadow Minister (International Development) (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Mar 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Transport Committee (2 Nov 2010 to 18 Jul 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Gavin Shuker’s speeches
- Has received answers to 40 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.32% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 102 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Gavin Shuker’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 142 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from