David Rutley’s voting in Parliament
David Rutley is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, David Rutley sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
David Rutley voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of David Rutley’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit David Rutley’s full vote analysis page for more.
David Rutley has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
This Government is leading the way in promoting animal welfare by bringing forward legislation that will increase the maximum custodial penalty for animal cruelty in England from 6 months’ to 5 years’ imprisonment. We have also made it a requirement for all slaughterhouses to have CCTV; updated and improved the laws regulating dog breeding and pet sales; and banned the third party sale of...
The Government considers the distributional impact of its interventions on different groups, including low income households, and our National Adaptation Programme sets out the steps the Government will be taking, until the next five year plan in 2023, to further adapt to climate change. Its central aim is to build resilience across the economy, and draws from across a large body of...
There has never been any question that this Government’s policies on animal welfare are driven by the fact that animals are sentient beings. However, the Government has been very clear that we will make any necessary changes required to UK law in a rigorous and comprehensive way to ensure animal sentience is recognised after we leave the EU.
More of David Rutley’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Macclesfield
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
David Rutley campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Syria: Armed Conflict
- Immigration Controls
- South Sudan
- Small Businesses
- Broadband: Rural Areas
Currently held offices
- Government Whip (since 15 Jun 2017)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (since 15 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (22 May 2018 to 19 Jul 2018)
- Member, Treasury Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 29 Nov 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 32 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all David Rutley’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 92.83% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 151 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on David Rutley’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 313 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)