Owen Smith’s voting in Parliament
Owen Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Owen Smith’s votes.
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 12 votes against, between 2013–2016
Almost always voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2019
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 2 votes against, 6 absences, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Owen Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Owen Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Owen Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 11 Feb 2019
Labour MP for Pontypridd
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Owen Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department for Work and Pensions
- HM Treasury
- Universal Credit
- Departmental Procurement
- Child Care
- Children: Maintenance
- Fit for Work Programme
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (14 Jun 2017 to 23 Mar 2018)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (14 Sep 2015 to 27 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Wales (14 May 2012 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Wales) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 28 Nov 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 59 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Owen Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.19% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 78 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 325 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)