A selection of Shabana Mahmood's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 17 votes against, 6 absences, between 2010–2019
Consistently voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 16 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2018
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
3 votes for, 2 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, in 2011
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 43 votes against, 9 absences, between 2014–2016
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shabana Mahmood’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shabana Mahmood’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, whether the Government plans to recognise the Ottoman Empire's killing of 1.5 million Armenians between 1915 and 1917 as genocide.
To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, whether he plans to provide financial support to leaseholders with properties cladded with a flammable material and which are less than 18 metres in height.
To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what plans he has to provide financial support to leaseholders of properties cladded with non aluminium composite materials that are flammable.
More of Shabana Mahmood’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Birmingham, Ladywood
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Shabana Mahmood campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Innovation and Skills
- Home Department
- Home Office
- HM Treasury
- Higher Education
- Students: Loans
- Revenue and Customs
- Students: Finance
- Higher Education: Admissions
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, International Trade Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Draft Investigatory Powers Bill (Joint Committee) (26 Nov 2015 to 11 Feb 2016)
- Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (8 May 2015 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Treasury) (7 Oct 2013 to 8 May 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Minister (Home Affairs) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 2 Nov 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 7 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Shabana Mahmood’s speeches
- Has received answers to 48 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 69.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 87 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 254 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
Image by Adam Fradgley