Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
Kwasi Kwarteng’s voting in Parliament
Kwasi Kwarteng is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Kwasi Kwarteng sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Kwasi Kwarteng voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Kwasi Kwarteng’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Kwasi Kwarteng’s full vote analysis page for more.
Kwasi Kwarteng has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
It is a pleasure to take part in this debate under your chairmanship, Mr Pritchard. I thank my right hon. Friend the Member for Ludlow (Philip Dunne) for bringing forward this important and timely debate, and congratulate him on his election as Chair of the Environmental Audit Committee. My first outing in this role was in front of his Committee—under a different Chair, who sadly was not...
It is an initial step. In Germany, KfW has a consumer finance piece that gives small loans for green initiatives. We had a green deal; my personal view and, I think, the Government view is that it did not work principally because the interest rate was too high. However, that does not discredit such initiatives. I was struck that the hon. Member for Newcastle upon Tyne Central (Chi Onwurah)...
I fully accept that we have to deal with fuel poverty in this country. We do have the policies—
More of Kwasi Kwarteng’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Spelthorne
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Kwasi Kwarteng campaigned to leave the European Union
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Egypt: Politics and Government
- Aviation: Exhaust Emissions
- Waste Management
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (since 24 Jul 2019)
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (16 Nov 2018 to 24 Jul 2019)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (20 Jul 2015 to 6 Feb 2017)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (4 Nov 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Transport Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 5 Jul 2013)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Kwasi Kwarteng’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.89% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 130 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Kwasi Kwarteng’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 206 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Feb 2020.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: Majid Jafar
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £4,000 to my fighting fund for the General Election
Date received: 11 November 2019
Date accepted: 12 December 2019
Donor status: individual
(Registered 16 January 2020)
Name of donor: (1) Le Cercle
; (2) Bahrain Centre for Strategic, International and Energy Studies
Address of donor: (1) 85 Great Portland Street, London W1W 7LT; (2) PO
Box 39443, Riffa, Kingdom of Bahrain
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): (1) Flights, approx. value £3,344; (2) accommodation, approx. value £1,914
Destination of visit: Bahrain
Dates of visit: 27 June - 1 July 2019
Purpose of visit: To attend an informal forum for the discussion of international affairs.
(Registered 05 August 2019)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)