A selection of Stephen Metcalfe's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
6 votes for, 3 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2011
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2016
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
16 votes for, 5 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2015
We have lots more plain English analysis of Stephen Metcalfe’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Stephen Metcalfe’s full vote analysis page for more.
On Monday, I chaired a seminar at the Royal Society looking at the priorities for the science community as we start our Brexit negotiations, and a report of the meeting will be launched here in Parliament on 21 March. While I of course understand that the Prime Minister may be too busy to attend, will she meet me once the report is published so that I can present to her in person the...
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what plans he has to fill the vacancy of Chief Scientific Adviser to his Department; and what the timetable is for advertising and filling that vacancy.
Welcome to the Chair, Mr Flello. I thank the Minister for his words and for some of his assurances. Forgive me if I failed to recognise the scale of the challenge. I do not; I get that it is a huge undertaking. However, he will agree that the role of the Science and Technology Committee is to provide challenge where possible. We all recognise that there are huge potential benefits to be found...
More of Stephen Metcalfe’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Stephen Metcalfe campaigned to leave the European Union
- HM Treasury
- Department for Transport
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Organs: Donors
- Equitable Life Assurance Society: Compensation
- River Thames: Bridges
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- Dartford-Thurrock Crossing
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 25 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Stephen Metcalfe’s speeches
- Has received answers to 10 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.15% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 99 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 113 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
Name of donor: (1) Britain-Palestine Communications Centre, (2) President’s Office, Ramallah (3) Travel2Palestine Ltd
Address of donor: (1) c/o 5 Galena Road, London W6 0LT (2) Muqata, Ramallah, Palestine (3) 160 London Road, Kingston KT2 6QW
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): (1) return flights £616, food and travel £532, total £1,148 (2) accommodation £430 (3) small contribution towards cost of food and transport, value estimated to be no more than £75
Destination of visit: Jerusalem and the West Bank
Dates of visit: 2-6 January 2017
Purpose of visit: Fact-finding political delegation.
(Registered 24 January 2017)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
One-third share in holiday home Languedoc: (i). (Updated 25 July 2016
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Aysgarth Properties Ltd
Metloc Printers Ltd
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from