Alun Cairns’s voting in Parliament
Alun Cairns is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Alun Cairns sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alun Cairns consistently voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alun Cairns’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alun Cairns’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alun Cairns has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
I hold regular discussions with Cabinet colleagues and with the Welsh Government to discuss a range of issues, including the impact on Wales of the UK leaving the European Union. Our manifesto committed to creating a UK Shared Prosperity Fund and work is ongoing across Government to consider how best this can be achieved. As per our commitment, we will of course work with the Welsh...
I hold regular discussions with Cabinet colleagues and the Welsh Government to discuss a range of issues, including renewable energy. Wales plays an important role in contributing to the UK’s diverse energy generation mix, and I was pleased to see the wave testbed project in Pembrokeshire included in the Swansea City Deal signed earlier this year by the Prime Minister. The Welsh...
I hold regular discussions with Cabinet colleagues and with the Welsh Government to discuss the operation of Wales’ rail network. The UK Government remains committed to devolving franchising powers to the Welsh Government as agreed in 2014 and is continuing to support their procurement for the next Wales & Borders franchise, including the development of the South Wales Metro.
More of Alun Cairns’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Vale of Glamorgan
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Alun Cairns campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Culture Media and Sport
- Innovation and Skills
- Energy and Climate Change
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Consultants
- Trade Union Officials
- Mobile Phones
- S4C: Finance
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Wales (since 19 Mar 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Government Whip (15 Jul 2014 to 19 Mar 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales (15 Jul 2014 to 19 Mar 2016)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (9 May 2011 to 12 May 2014)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 27 Jun 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Alun Cairns’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 95.24% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 91 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 290 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Nov 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: J C Bamford Ltd
Address of donor: Rocester, Staffordshire ST14 5JP
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
Donor status: company, registration 00561597
(Registered 04 July 2017
Name of donor: Mr Duncan Barber
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £4,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 04 July 2017)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Residential property in Cardiff: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from