Alun Cairns campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Alun Cairns’s voting in Parliament
Alun Cairns is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Alun Cairns’s votes.
Generally voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Generally voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
Generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Almost always voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alun Cairns’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alun Cairns’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alun Cairns has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Welsh Affairs: Responsibilities of the Secretary of State for Wales.
Witnesses: Rt. Hon. Alun Cairns MP, Secretary of State for Wales Guto Bebb MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales
I have not had any such representations. The Government is clear that aggressive enforcement action is not acceptable.
Skills and apprenticeships in Wales are devolved to the Welsh Government. The Welsh Government’s apprenticeship programme is funded with support from the European Social Fund. Following the decision to leave the European Union, the Chancellor has provided guarantees for EU funding such that where the Welsh Government sign up to structural and investment fund projects under their current...
More of Alun Cairns’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Vale of Glamorgan
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Culture Media and Sport
- Innovation and Skills
- Energy and Climate Change
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Consultants
- Trade Union Officials
- Mobile Phones
- S4C: Finance
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Wales (since 19 Mar 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (15 Jul 2014 to 19 Mar 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales (15 Jul 2014 to 19 Mar 2016)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (9 May 2011 to 12 May 2014)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 27 Jun 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 16 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Alun Cairns’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 83.60% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 103 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 270 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from