Nick Smith’s voting in Parliament
Nick Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Nick Smith’s votes.
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2013
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 6 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2015–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 2 votes against, 6 absences, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nick Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nick Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Nick Smith has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
Will the Secretary of State be clearer, please? How many EU laws will become UK laws? I think he has denied that it could be up to 1,000, so what is his best estimate?
Further to the earlier question from my hon. Friend the Member for Gedling (Vernon Coaker), the Automobile Association says that our roads now resemble “Swiss cheese.” I understand that the number of potholes filled by councils in England fell by 19% last year, so when will the Government properly deal with that issue? Can we have a debate, please?
More of Nick Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Blaenau Gwent
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
Nick Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Work and Pensions
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Department of Health
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Food: Fraud
- Sri Lanka
- National Food Crime Unit
Currently held offices
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 18 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (18 Sep 2015 to 18 Oct 2016)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (7 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 67 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Nick Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 54 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.52% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 71 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 127 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from