Nick Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Nick Smith’s voting in Parliament
Nick Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Nick Smith’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Consistently voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nick Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nick Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Nick Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Does my hon. Friend agree that community radio is great for local news and may benefit enormously from the Bill? I was once a volunteer reporter on a community radio station in Sydney in Australia, for which I covered rugby and international relations. It was good to play a small part in updating the local community. I am sure we support the Bill for that reason.
Yemen 12 Jan 2017
Will the Minister give way?
Will any Volkswagen executives face criminal damages here for the diesel emissions scandal?
More of Nick Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Blaenau Gwent
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Department of Health
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Food: Fraud
- Sri Lanka
- National Food Crime Unit
Currently held offices
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 18 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (18 Sep 2015 to 18 Oct 2016)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (7 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 55 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Nick Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 56 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 69.82% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 73 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 121 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from