John Howell’s voting in Parliament
John Howell is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a random selection of John Howell’s votes.
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2016.
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
6 votes for, 3 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016.
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, between 2011–2016.
Generally voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
3 votes for, 1 vote against, between 2010–2011.
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
37 votes for, 73 votes against, 10 absences, between 2009–2022.
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
54 votes for, 3 votes against, 8 absences, between 2012–2022.
Last updated: 18 May 2022.
Learn more about our voting records and what they mean.
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Howell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Howell’s full vote analysis page for more.
John Howell has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Business and Trade, whether she has made an assessment for the implications of her policies of Tel Aviv’s recent rating as the second-best cleantech ecosystem; and if her Department will hold discussions with Israeli businesses on the steps being taken to develop cleaner and safer technologies.
I reassure the hon. Gentleman that I hope to stay in the role for another year.
I want to comment briefly on the Minister’s remarks about international partners and our relationship with them. The Council of Europe recently held a summit in Reykjavik, which the UK attended, and we also signed the resulting declaration. The Council of Europe has always seen sanctions as a rule of law issue, because Russia has acted illegally in invading Ukraine. The Council of Europe...
More of John Howell’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Henley
Entered the House of Commons on 27 June 2008 — Byelection
Topics of interest
John Howell campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Commonwealth and Development Office
- Department of Health and Social Care
- Communities and Local Government
- Ministry of Justice
- COE Parliamentary Assembly
- Israel: Palestinians
- Goring and Streatley Station
- Coronavirus: Vaccination
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Animals (Low-Welfare Activities Abroad) Bill Committee ( 1 Mar 2023 to 8 Mar 2023)
- Member, Shark Fins Bill Committee ( 9 Nov 2022 to 16 Nov 2022)
- Member, Genetic Technology (Precision Breeding) Bill Committee (22 Jun 2022 to 7 Jul 2022)
- Member, Local Government (Disqualification) Bill Committee (24 Nov 2021 to 1 Dec 2021)
- Member, Justice Committee ( 2 Mar 2020 to 8 Jun 2021)
- Member, Business and Trade Committee ( 2 Mar 2020 to 9 Mar 2020)
- Member, Justice Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 24 Nov 2015)
- Member, Justice Committee ( 6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Justice Committee ( 8 Sep 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (14 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 18 Sep 2023.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Le Manoir
Address of donor: Church Road, Great Milton OX44 7PD
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: Attended a garden party at the Manoir Hotel with a staff member, value £800
Date received: 14 July 2023
Date accepted: 14 July 2023
Donor status: company, registration 1728000
(Registered 17 July 2023)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely, on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources. Voting information from Public Whip.
Profile photo: © Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)