Jim Shannon campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Jim Shannon’s voting in Parliament
Jim Shannon is a DUP MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other DUP MPs.
This is a selection of Jim Shannon’s votes.
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
Almost always voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jim Shannon’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jim Shannon’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jim Shannon has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
As always, it is good to make a contribution. First, I wish to thank the hon. Member for Hove (Peter Kyle) for setting the scene so well. He had limited time but he did very well, so well done to him. We have heard some powerful speeches from right hon. and hon. Members encapsulating the energy, passion, thoughts, fears and concerns of us all. They have been put very well, in a dignified...
I thank the right hon. Lady for her intervention. She succinctly makes a point that everyone who has spoken today believes. We have to remember those people and what they have been through. The escalation of violence did not stop until the end of the war in 1945. As the Nazis established themselves in power, they built on the idea of an Aryan race that planned to eliminate any individual who...
It is always a pleasure to speak about human rights issues. I congratulate the hon. Member for Bury North (Mr Nuttall) on setting the scene so well. Members have made some incredible speeches today about an issue that has clearly fired them up. It is well known in the House that I speak passionately about human rights and the treatment of people in places such as Kashmir and, indeed, places...
More of Jim Shannon’s recent appearances
DUP MP for Strangford, Former DUP MLA for Strangford
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 1 August 2010 — Resigned
Topics of interest
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Ministry of Defence
- Cancer: Drugs
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 5 Dec 2016)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (since 10 Feb 2016)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Equality) (since 8 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (8 Sep 2015 to 5 Dec 2016)
- Member, Defence Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 5 Dec 2016)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Human Rights) (3 Apr 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 349 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Jim Shannon’s speeches
- Has received answers to 820 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 70.30% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 44 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jim Shannon’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1012 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Jan 2017.
Name of donor: Irish Festivals Inc.
Address of donor: 1532 Wauwatosa Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): hotel accommodation with a value of £542
Destination of visit: Milwaukee, United States
Date of visit: 17-22 August 2016
Purpose of visit: Speaking in the capacity as an MP
from Northern Ireland at an event in the United States with cultural and historical links to Ireland and Northern Ireland
(Registered 22 August 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
20 acres land and farm at Ballygarvin: (i).
Part share in holiday home in USA
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from