Jim Shannon campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Jim Shannon’s voting in Parliament
Jim Shannon is a DUP MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other DUP MPs.
This is a selection of Jim Shannon’s votes.
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
Almost always voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jim Shannon’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jim Shannon’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jim Shannon has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
It is a pleasure to speak in the debate. I want to cast Members’ minds back to films and TV—“The Perfect Storm”, for example, and “the Trawler Wars”, which I believe captured the pressures that fishermen are under. Back in January, I was speaking to one of my constituents, a fisherman from Portavogie, who was pondering the year ahead. He said to me,...
That is quite clearly happening. I subscribe to what the hon. Gentleman says, with in mind. Boats from Portavogie were boarded by the UK Border Agency in the Clyde the week before last and had to return home single-handedly, which should never have happened. It is easy to identify the problems; the question is how to fix them. One huge step forward was taken on 23 June when the United...
More of Jim Shannon’s recent appearances
DUP MP for Strangford, Former DUP MLA for Strangford
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 1 August 2010 — Resigned
Topics of interest
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Ministry of Defence
- Cancer: Drugs
Currently held offices
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (since 10 Feb 2016)
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (since 8 Sep 2015)
- Member, Defence Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Equality) (since 8 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Human Rights) (3 Apr 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 365 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Jim Shannon’s speeches
- Has received answers to 877 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.93% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 43 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jim Shannon’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 992 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 21 Nov 2016.
Name of donor: Irish Festivals Inc.
Address of donor: 1532 Wauwatosa Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): hotel accommodation with a value of £542
Destination of visit: Milwaukee, United States
Date of visit: 17-22 August 2016
Purpose of visit: Speaking in the capacity as an MP
from Northern Ireland at an event in the United States with cultural and historical links to Ireland and Northern Ireland
(Registered 22 August 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
20 acres land and farm at Ballygarvin: (i).
Part share in holiday home in USA
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from