Jim Shannon’s voting in Parliament
Jim Shannon is a DUP MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other DUP MPs.
This is a selection of Jim Shannon’s votes.
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
6 votes for, 26 votes against, 14 absences, between 2010–2017
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
4 votes for, 35 votes against, 15 absences, between 2012–2016
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 3 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
1 vote for, 5 votes against, between 2010–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jim Shannon’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jim Shannon’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jim Shannon has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 22 Feb 2017
Something that has been in the press over the past few weeks is the amount of litter that has been deposited across the countryside, including in waterways. Will charging boat owners mean that that litter will be taken away and properly disposed of? If that is part of the Bill’s purpose, it must be a step in the right direction.
I asked about where the older generation featured in things, as did the right hon. Member for Exeter (Mr Bradshaw), but the Minister has not touched on that yet. If she is not able to do so now, perhaps she can come back to us in writing.
It is a pleasure, as always, to serve under your chairmanship, Mrs Main. It was a particular pleasure to hear the hon. Member for Finchley and Golders Green (Mike Freer) set the scene for us on a subject that is close to his heart and one that he has become a champion for in this House. I congratulate him on that. I have always been here to support him in his endeavours, and I am pleased to...
More of Jim Shannon’s recent appearances
DUP MP for Strangford, Former DUP MLA for Strangford
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 1 August 2010 — Resigned
Topics of interest
Jim Shannon campaigned to leave the European Union
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Ministry of Defence
- Cancer: Drugs
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 5 Dec 2016)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (since 10 Feb 2016)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Equality) (since 8 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Defence Sub-Committee (8 Sep 2015 to 5 Dec 2016)
- Member, Defence Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 5 Dec 2016)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Human Rights) (3 Apr 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health) (12 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 337 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Jim Shannon’s speeches
- Has received answers to 772 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.02% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 45 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jim Shannon’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1051 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 20 Mar 2017.
Name of donor: Irish Festivals Inc.
Address of donor: 1532 Wauwatosa Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): hotel accommodation with a value of £542
Destination of visit: Milwaukee, United States
Date of visit: 17-22 August 2016
Purpose of visit: Speaking in the capacity as an MP
from Northern Ireland at an event in the United States with cultural and historical links to Ireland and Northern Ireland
(Registered 22 August 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
20 acres land and farm at Ballygarvin: (i).
Part share in holiday home in USA
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from