A selection of Jim Devine's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
38 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2006–2009
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2007
Voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, 1 absence, in 2007
Voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2007
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jim Devine’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jim Devine’s full vote analysis page for more.
As my hon. Friend knows, there are over 100 years of coal underground. Should we not look at a strategy for extracting that coal? That would make a major contribution to the eradication of fuel poverty.
Has my right hon. and learned Friend seen today's Daily Record, which exposed a legalised lending company charging an annual percentage rate of 2,639,538.9 per cent? Is it not about time that we followed the lead of European countries and put a cap on interest charges, especially in the run-up to Christmas?
Can we follow the lead of other European countries and introduce a cap on interest rates for the likes of store cards? People will be using store cards over the next few weeks in the run-up to Christmas. If someone spends £1,000, it will take them 15 years to clear that if they simply pay the minimum. That is totally unacceptable.
More of Jim Devine’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Livingston
Entered the House of Commons on 30 September 2005 — Byelection
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Network Rail: Consultants
- National Minimum Wage
- Departmental Property
- Child Support
Other offices held in the past
- PPS (Rt Hon Rosie Winterton, Minister of State), Department of Health (20 Nov 2006 to 14 Mar 2007)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (18 Jul 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (8 Feb 2006 to 20 Feb 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Jim Devine’s speeches
- Has received answers to 4 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.73% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 46 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 86 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from