We need your help
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
If everyone who visited TheyWorkForYou donated just £1, we’d reach our crowdfunding target in less than 3 days.
A selection of Lyn Brown's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 13 votes against, 4 absences, between 2008–2019
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 5 votes against, 6 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
101 votes for, 11 votes against, 32 absences, between 2006–2019
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2010–2017
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, between 2010–2016
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lyn Brown’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lyn Brown’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will make an assessment of the background circumstances of the 39 Chinese nationals found killed in Grays, Essex on 23 October 2019 including the possibility that the victims were (a) Uyghur Muslims or members of another religious or ethnic minority group in China seeking asylum in the UK or (b) victims of modern slavery being...
To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, with reference to the Answer of 2 October to Question 290776 on Rain Forests: Amazonia, if she will make an assessment of the potential effect of the (a) degradation of carbon sinks and (b) deforestation in the Amazon rainforest on the timeframe for the UK's transition to a net-zero economy.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, with reference to the Answer of 7 March 2019 to Question 226643 on Women's Health Taskforce for England, on what dates the Women's Health Taskforce for England has met since February 2019; what the topics of discussion were at each meeting; whether the draft Terms of Reference for the Taskforce have been approved; and whether plans for...
More of Lyn Brown’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for West Ham
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Lyn Brown campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Education
- Ministers: Official Cars
- Arms Trade: Trade Fairs
- Community Relations
- Fire Services: Pensions
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Treasury) (12 Jan 2018 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow Minister (Home Office) (Policing) (14 Oct 2016 to 12 Jan 2018)
- Shadow Minister (Home Office) (18 Sep 2015 to 28 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government) (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (10 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (14 Nov 2007 to 18 Nov 2007)
- PPS (Rt Hon John Denham, Secretary of State), Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (28 Jun 2007 to 16 Jan 2009)
- PPS (Mr Phil Woolas, Minister of State), Department for Communities and Local Government (20 Nov 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Member, Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee (27 Jun 2006 to 15 Jan 2007)
- Member, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions Committee (5 Dec 2005 to 27 Jun 2006)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 48 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Lyn Brown’s speeches
- Has received answers to 291 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 82.07% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 162 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 320 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Nov 2019.
Name of donor: Taipei Representative Office
in the UK
Address of donor: 50 Grosvenor Gardens, Belgravia, London SW1W 0EB
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights and accommodation, with a value of £4,000
Destination of visit: Taiwan
Dates of visit: 2 - 9 November 2018
Purpose of visit: British-Taiwanese APPG
visit to meet with the President, Speaker
, MPs and regional leaders to discuss Anglo-Taiwanese relations.
(Registered 26 November 2018)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
One quarter share in a rental property in Ambleside, Cumbria: (i) and (ii). (Updated 26 July 2016)
A half share in a commercial property in Munich, Germany
: (i) and (ii). (Updated 3 August 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from