We need your help
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
If everyone who visited TheyWorkForYou donated just £1, we’d reach our crowdfunding target in less than 3 days.
A selection of Angela Smith's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, between 2010–2017
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, between 2010–2011
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 4 votes against, 7 absences, between 2008–2016
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 36 votes against, 15 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
95 votes for, 12 votes against, 38 absences, between 2006–2019
We have lots more plain English analysis of Angela Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Angela Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
What plans she has to ensure the (a) transparency and (b) accountability of the proposed Office for Environmental Protection.
The concept of the OEP has been touted by the Government as an independent watchdog, yet it will be funded by the Government and its chair will be appointed by the Government. Surely the Secretary of State will agree that at the very least the relevant Select Committee should play a key role in the appointment of the chair and the non-executive members of the board.
Evidence suggests quite strongly that the Australian decision has had a significant impact on the Government’s ability to deliver effective aid overseas; in other words, aid has lost out.
More of Angela Smith’s recent appearances
Former Independent MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Party was Labour until 17 Feb 2019
Also represented Sheffield, Hillsborough
Topics of interest
Angela Smith campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Speeches
- Bovine Tuberculosis
- Departmental Legal Opinion
- Dangerous Dogs
- Agriculture: Subsidies
Other offices held in the past
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (International Development) (21 Oct 2019 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Sub-Committee (10 Feb 2016 to 22 Mar 2017)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (26 Oct 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (15 Apr 2014 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (7 Oct 2011 to 15 Apr 2014)
- Member, Administration Committee (2 Nov 2010 to 23 Jan 2012)
- Opposition Assistant Whip (Commons) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Member, Procedure Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 21 Mar 2011)
- Member, Transport Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 2 Nov 2010)
- Member, Transport Committee (19 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- PPS (Rt Hon Yvette Cooper, Chief Secretary), HM Treasury (29 Jan 2008 to 16 Jan 2009)
- PPS (Rt Hon Yvette Cooper, Minister of State), Department for Communities and Local Government (11 Oct 2007 to 29 Jan 2008)
- PPS (Yvette Cooper, Minister of State), Department for Communities and Local Government (8 May 2006 to 11 Oct 2007)
- PPS (Yvette Cooper, Minister of State), Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (10 Nov 2005 to 8 May 2006)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 Nov 2007)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Angela Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 42 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 70.77% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 91 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 375 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from