A selection of Peter Soulsby's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Peter Soulsby’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Peter Soulsby’s full vote analysis page for more.
A few weeks ago, my right hon. Friend the Member for Leicester East (Keith Vaz), supported by my hon. Friend the Member for Leicester West (Liz Kendall) and me, launched a city-wide petition against the Government’s proposals to abolish the education maintenance allowance. Last week my right hon. Friend presented a petition presented by those who study at Gateway college in his...
I understand the Minister’s reluctance to give the names of those who might serve on the panel, but surely he will accept that it is important that those who have spoken out so strongly on behalf of woodlands and forests have their voice heard on that panel. Will he at this stage agree to ensure that on that panel are members of the public and local campaign groups who have been...
I join other hon. Members in congratulating my right hon. Friend the Member for Lewisham, Deptford (Joan Ruddock) on securing the debate. It is clear from the contributions that Members have made that, despite the Government’s somewhat change of approach, this is still a current issue for us. As she reminds us, the context of her request for the debate was the threat to England’s...
More of Peter Soulsby’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Leicester South
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 1 April 2011 — Resigned
Topics of interest
- Culture Media and Sport
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Education and Skills
- Lung Cancer
- Prescription Charges
- Health and Safety Inspections
- Post Offices: Closures
- Asylum: Work Permits
Other offices held in the past
- Member, East Midlands Regional Select Committee (4 Mar 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Procedure Committee (20 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Transport Committee (20 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Draft Marine Bill (Joint Committee) (20 May 2008 to 27 Nov 2008)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (8 Feb 2007 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (6 Dec 2005 to 22 Nov 2007)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Peter Soulsby’s speeches
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.33% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 117 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 100 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from